Why become a member? ×

Hi bass-chatters

I’m really interested in hearing who your favourite blues bass player is. 

Bass players often get overlooked for the more famous guitarists or singers in Blues so it would be great if any one can come up with the lesser known ones as well.

I am planning a bass video course with a mixture of history and how to play Blues, and am interested in bass players right back from the upright players of the Chicago scene onwards.

Thanks in advanced for your feedback and if there is anything aside from the obvious that might be good in the course then please let me know.

For me, at the top of the pile it has to be Willie Dixon. If you take his song writing and record producing at Chess, he must have been the most influential bassist ever.

John McVie is the bassist I've seen live the most.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Big influences on me were Russel Jackson (BB King in the 70's and 80's) and Danny Thompson (Alexis Korner in the 60's).

Love Danny Thompson too, wasn’t aware of Russel Jackson by name so that’s one for me to research. 

Another +1 for Willie Dixon.

I always liked Richard Cousins playing with Robert Cray's band.  Also Joey Spampinato from NRBQ, played with Keith Richards and Eric Clapton too (and of course a fan of the Dano Longhorn ☺️ ).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's also Andrew Acmahon who played with Howlin Wolf in the 60's.

Muddy waters bass players include Mac Arnold (60's) and Calvin Jones (70's).

These guys might not have made it onto the records. Willie Dixon played on a lot of the sessions.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chris_b said:

There's also Andrew Acmahon who played with Howlin Wolf in the 60's.

Muddy waters bass players include Mac Arnold (60's) and Calvin Jones (70's).

These guys might not have made it onto the records. Willie Dixon played on a lot of the sessions.

Interesting point there. Maybe the bass players were better known from the live scene rather than albums.