Why become a member? ×

Show us your battered kit

Bankai

I just acquired a fridge which has seen a hard life. So I thought I'd start a thread in here for those wonderful bits of kit which have been 'hardcore aged' the old-fashioned way.

If you've got something that looks like it has seen better days but it's still going then please contribute, but anything that came out of the shop pre-aged is disqualified!

810front.thumb.jpg.542b3a96c77ad261ebaea5dd171e12af.jpg810rear.thumb.jpg.2cf02e892eb2f24f32c21c871c39a89c.jpg

Edited by Bankai
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

My old Peavey amp and my SWR Triad 1 cab actually both pretty much look like if they had just left the factory, even if being from somewhere around the early 90's and both bought fairly recently used.

My main bass, an Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass, from the December 2010 production, bought April 2011 looks pretty battered though, the worst blemish being from a failed haphazard attempt to drill an extra pickup cavity in the far neck position, which then later was filled up with filler mass and painted and varnished over, though quite poorly executed as well, this haphazard procedure also causing 2 small chips of the end of the fretboard wood to be ripped off by the drill piece ramming into it, as the drilling machine at some point spun out of my control, and since I stupidly enough didn't even bother remove the neck first.

Here's a frontal shot of the whole bass :

AB-4-string-Ibanez-GSRM20-Mikro-Bass-210

Here's a closeup the blemish from the haphazard failed attempt to drill an extra far neck pickup cavity, and the holes in the freboard at the last fret is from taking off the neck, filling out the neck screw holes for a tighter fit back on, however resulting in me needing to drill new pilot holes for the screws, but drilling far too deep, all the way through the fretboard, and then filling out the resulting holes in the fretboard with glued in wooden sticks, one of the previously mentioned chips in the fretboard wood is also visible on this picture (I have pondered on at some point thoroughly but carefully removing the filler mass that I pretty sloppily filled the failed pickup cavity with, and then redo the job, this time using a much more durable filler mass and paying more attention to getting it done properly, though this far, a couple of years by now, it seems like the original filler mass holds up just perfectly fine, but I just would wish I had made a better effort to make it look decent and that I had bothered doing the needed research and bought a filler mass that with guarantee would hold up at least as good as the mahogany wood the body of the bass is made of, instead of on a whim sloppily just slapping the first thing I had at hand that could do the job down in the hole, without much consideration really going into the process, unfortunately that seems to be a recurrent theme for me, acting spontaneously on a more or less random whim with a resulting haphazardly and poorly thought out and executed outcome) :

4-String-Mikro-Bass-Fake-Pickup-Blemish.

And here's a closeup of the chipped off wood pieces of the fretboard, one wood chip found again and relatively successfully glued back on, but another wood piece never found again, and now lost and missing forever (luckily the fretwire remained perfectly seated and completely undamaged, and I have also pondered on possibly getting it fixed by a luthier, since I contacted one about it, sending him pictures of the damage, who confirmed that it would be perfectly doable, by cutting out a piece of the fretboard around the damaged area and then replacing it with a perfectly matching undamaged piece of wood, cut to precisely fit the removed part, which he claimed he ought to be able to do sufficiently precisely and elegantly subtle for it only to be noticeable for someone specifically looking for it) :

4-String-Mikro-Bass-Fretboard-Chip-Off.j

And here's a big chipped off piece of the thick polythene coating of the bass from the side of the upper end towards the bridge part of the body, happening back to when the bass was still relatively new and I accidentally dropped the gigbag with the bass inside of it on the concrete sidewalk on my way to band rehearsal, luckily nothing else took any kind of damage whatsoever :'

4-String-Mikro-Paint-Crack-Side.jpg

And finally this crude/crooked star like "engraving" in the polythene finish/wood, done on purpose by hammering a flat headed screwdriver into the body of the bass, and then dabbing special paint, supposed to replicate the effect of marble, down in the resulting cracks, and after that had dried then additionally dabbing clear glitter nail polish down in the cracks as well, intended to replicate the effect of the kind of star shaped crack that a sharp point impact in a glass window sometimes will result in :

4-String-Mikro-Ingraved-Star.jpg

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

40 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

@Baloney Balderdash I swear you've posted that same bass in about 600 different threads!! 

I posted these pictures in 1, ONE, other thread exactly, that I started myself, with kind of the same topic as this one, since I din't know this one existed, and which never really caught on, my OP remaining the only post in that topic, and it isn't even a copy paste of that, just the pictures and more or less the same story, just told slightly differently, I wrote everything specifically for this post.

Sure I have posted single pictures of my main bass in threads where it fits the topic, but is that such a strange thing?

I see no rule that you are only allowed to post one picture per bass you own ever here on the forum. 

It's not like I am just copy pasting the exact same post and spamming it on the forum 10 times a day like you make it sound like, or even as if I just randomly throw a picture of my bass in topics where it doesn't make sense.

I refuse to feel bad about loving my bass, even if you seem to think I ought to feel ashamed of my self for whatever sick reason you might have.

It happens to be my main, and I don't happen to own 100+ 1000£+ basses that I can chose from, sorry if that bothers you, but I didn't realize that was a requirement to join this forum.

Your problem, not mine.

I mean how hard hard can it be to just ignore a reply if you feel repulsed by it, despite nothing that normally would be considered offensive has really been posted?

• Haha 1

Well...

The prize for the most ridiculous overreaction goes to you sir. 

My comment wasn't exactly damming now was it? T'was a mere observation will no ill intent meant and I'm not sure really how you could possibly have misconstrued my comment in any fashion to warrant your rather insane ramble! 

Says a lot about your state of mind sir. I fear for anyone who may actually have insulted you! 

Jeez... some people! 

• Haha 1

When someone swear by wild exaggerations and then even conclude it with no less than double exclamation signs it usually imply that they feel bothered about the subject that is being wildly exaggerated while sworn to be the actual reality.

But I guess I'll have to take your word for that no ill intentions is meant by anything you post, neither your post above this one, even if the way you word it seems to suggest otherwise. 

I could otherwise have sworn that you by now had sought to ridicule me twice, but what do I know... :scratch_one-s_head:

Shall we all be adults, put the handbags down, and get back to the thread then? Yes? OK. 

I have a 1979 Ibanez Roadster RS800 with a good number of battle scars! Will post a picture when I can be bothered to go upstairs... too many heats to climb stairs right now! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...