Why become a member? ×

Flatwound string close ups...

Creeper

Got a magnifier for my iPhone so for a bit of fun I thought I’d have take a few close ups of my flats, first we have some super smooth Dunlop flats (which I like very much)

then some TI flats which are about a month old, o was surprised how wide the windings look close up, and how much gunk is already in there, then some super smooth DR Legends, then Rotosound Jazz 77s, interesting how you can see the tool marks on these... 

184E7C51-F5AB-4D42-BAC8-C947DFA271EB.png

CA5A22A9-9854-4C04-99AF-CBA35EC90145.png

CEFE216B-B4EC-42BA-8BCF-94AA9D76CB8C.png

A7662994-AD22-465C-8D5B-AF2B67D9112F.png

Edited by Creeper
  • Like 7

The magnifier just clips over my iPhone camera, the photos are all of E strings, will put some A strings up later.

the TI flats have only been on a couple of week, feel and play great, I think that slight gap between the windings reduces the friction a little which you can get on flats, having said that, the Dunlop’s are polished very smooth and play great too..

• Like 1

Those look quite cool, interesting to see the differences in gaps between windings up close. Can you feel a difference? 

This is the only photo of a flatwound up close I have. My doublebass G string after it fell over and landed G string first against the edge of a granite step. 

20200329_225553.thumb.jpg.5b915ea2742c43646d82a5f82ee59228.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Creeper said:

And her is the TI A, Then the S and F string. Interesting how these don’t have the same spacing as the E String....

I don't have S on my tuner - I always wondered what I was missing!

• 4 months later...

I was messing about with my phone camera and was quite impressed with how close it can focus (with a combination of 2x optical zoom and some cropping). 

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen someone post close up pics of flats before so thought it might be fun to compare them. Was it you @wateroftyne?

Anyway here are some Labella 760fx

Feel free to add yours! The closer the better. 

0A552EC9-84A9-42EB-A56D-FD1E6278EA3A.jpeg

• Like 1