Why become a member? ×

Recording DI bass into video via Apple products

Gunsfreddy2003

Afternoon,

I'm sure this is pretty simple but I'm having huge problems with it.

Just want to record my bass with DI signal into video for You Tube or Facebook with as little fuss as possible! I have a Focusrite 2i2 interface, iMac, MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad all capable of running GarageBand. I can't seem to see any option to use the USB C on the MacBook Pro as an input and PhotoBooth has no option to use anything other than inbuilt mic for audio in.

If the iPhone or iPad can accept audio over the lightning input do you need a special adapter as when plugging in via that connection it still uses the ambient mic which obviously sounds crap.

I'm sure it can't be this difficult!!

Help please.

I've done an on-line search for the problem and pretty much everything to do with PhotoBooth is about 10 years out of date. 

From what I can find the current solution for what you want to do is to use either QuickTime or iMovie with the Mac's built-in camera assigned to the video input and your interface to the audio. IMO iMovie would be a best because you edit the results directly once you have recorded them as most videos will benefit from a little editing even if it's simply to remove dead time and any mistakes you might make.

Photobooth is a program for making little videos for the kids and stuff, it doesn't have any options because it is supposed to be basic, so it uses the system settings. Having said that, the audio / midi application is only for setting levels and options etc, if you want the default input to be a different source you need to change it in sound -> input in the sound system preference panel.

648463631_ScreenShot2020-03-31at09_44_03.png.a4eb930b2305c29c1d10a2ab9248ba3c.png

Edited by Woodinblack

Interestingly when plugging the 2i2 into my MacBook Pro via USB C you do have an option to change the audio input from microphone to the 2i2. I tried it very briefly tonight and lo and behold using Photobooth a video can be recorded with a lovely DI bass sound.

What I don’t know is why the iMac wouldn’t do it? It’s a 2014 model so perhaps they have solved that on later spec machines or USB C does something that regular USB doesn’t?

1 hour ago, TJ Spicer said:

Quicktime is the best way to do this. Open quicktime and go to "record new movie". Along the bar at the bottom you can select camera quality as well as audio input and then just hit record. T

Both my iMac and MacBook Pro don't appear to have Quicktime on them - I downloaded a version from the web tried to install it and it says it can't becuase I already have Quicktime X but I'm buggered if I can see it and a Spotlight search only brings up Quicktime player?

QuickTime player is what you are looking for.

However IMO you will be better off with iMovie, because unless you are an eloquent speaker, talented player, and a technically perfect movie maker, you will need to edit what you shoot.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1