Why become a member? ×

Guy Pratt's Lockdown Licks

wateroftyne

Not his best slap work. Wee bit rusty at the start but in his younger days he could slap with the best of them. 

Just a great all rounder in my book and added to a great personality explains why he was / is in high demand.

Dave

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not his best slap work. Wee bit rusty at the start but in his younger days he could slap with the best of them. 

Just a great all rounder in my book and added to a great personality explains why he was / is in high demand.

Dave

Was going to say that but thought I’d get shot down. I thought it was quite pedestrian, but I realise he isnt known for his slap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Was going to say that but thought I’d get shot down. I thought it was quite pedestrian, but I realise he isnt known for his slap. 

He freely admits he's not a slap bassist but some of the slap he did in 80's / 90's was pretty impressive. He's probably like many players who just haven't had the need to play that style over last few years and you get a bit rusty.

Dave

• Like 2

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

He freely admits he's not a slap bassist but some of the slap he did in 80's / 90's was pretty impressive. He's probably like many players who just haven't had the need to play that style over last few years and you get a bit rusty.

Dave

Yeah, i cant imagine David liking too much of it 😁

• Haha 1

His latest vid is up now.... and it's one of my fave basslines EVER..... from my fave album EVER!! So thrilled to see/hear him play along with it.... it's made my week... nay, month(!!)....and on his gorgeous Spector NS2 😎

'Last Plane Out' from the wonderful 'Toy Matinee' album. 😍 😎

Edited by cetera
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cetera said:

His latest vid is up now.... and it's one of my fave basslines EVER..... from my fave album EVER!! So thrilled to see/hear him play along with it.... it's made my week... nay, month(!!)....and on his gorgeous Spector NS2 😎

'Last Plane Out' from the wonderful 'Toy Matinee' album. 😍 😎

I'd never heard them before so had to google them and have now ordered the Toy Matinee album. Mate just told me there was a follow up called Third Matinee with Richard Page from Mister Mister. Had a quick listen to that as well and altho its a good album its not quite the same vibe as the Toy Matinee album.

I might still buy the follow up.

Dave

10 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'd never heard them before so had to google them and have now ordered the Toy Matinee album. Mate just told me there was a follow up called Third Matinee with Richard Page from Mister Mister. Had a quick listen to that as well and altho its a good album its not quite the same vibe as the Toy Matinee album.

Dave

Never hear of TM either until Guy starred talking about them. Just gone out for a walk and have the album playing on Apple Music. Quite enjoyable. Reminds me of the Cutting crew in places, but I guess that’s a sign of the times. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I hadn't heard of them so listened to it on apple music. Really like it, if I had heard the track last plane out on its own, I would have assumed it was spocks beard.

• Like 1

That Spector is getting a lot of exposure and I suspect that it is stoking some ferocious GAS hereabouts. I appear to be immune (so far) as I think it’s great but it hasn’t got me looking for them online - time will tell though 😂.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Good man!
If you enjoy 'Toy Matinee' I recommend searching out Kevin Gilbert's solo CDs 'Thud', 'Nuts' & his rock opera 'Shaming Of The True'. 'Bolts' is also worth a listen too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Gilbert_(musician)

Kevin Gilbert was the driving force (with Pat Leonard) behind Toy Matinee, an original member (& writer) behind the 'Tuesday Night Music Club' and, according to almost everyone who worked with him.... a musical genius/prodigy. Sadly he passed away at a young age and his talent is much missed  😢

Third Matinee, though it has it's moments isn't a patch on Toy Matinee as it doesn't have the magic that Kevin brought to the table....

Edited by cetera
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

That Spector is getting a lot of exposure and I suspect that it is stoking some ferocious GAS hereabouts. I appear to be immune (so far) as I think it’s great but it hasn’t got me looking for them online - time will tell though 😂.

I noticed that in the most recent Bass Direct newsletter, the first two bass builders being promoted were: Dingwall (as used by Lee Sklar) and Spector...! 

• Haha 3