Why become a member? ×

Guy Pratt's Lockdown Licks

wateroftyne

43 minutes ago, peteb said:

I noticed that in the most recent Bass Direct newsletter, the first two bass builders being promoted were: Dingwall (as used by Lee Sklar) and Spector...! 

Hmm, I smell a rat! 

I'll have to make the shameful confession that I wasn't really that aware of Guy or his work, which is all the worse as  I see he played on the first two Orb albums which are among my faves. Anyway, that bassline is a cracker although I thought the song was by the Kane Gang. Anyway, they're Geordies too so I'm in the right ball park. I'll certainly be checking out more of GP's lockdown licks so good call viz the OP

Edited by Barking Spiders

5 hours ago, cetera said:

Good man!
If you enjoy 'Toy Matinee' I recommend searching out Kevin Gilbert's solo CDs 'Thud', 'Nuts' & his rock opera 'Shaming Of The True'. 'Bolts' is also worth a listen too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Gilbert_(musician)

Kevin Gilbert was the driving force (with Pat Leonard) behind Toy Matinee, an original member (& writer) behind the 'Tuesday Night Music Club' and, according to almost everyone who worked with him.... a musical genius/prodigy. Sadly he passed away at a young age and his talent is much missed  😢

Third Matinee, though it has it's moments isn't a patch on Toy Matinee as it doesn't have the magic that Kevin brought to the table....

Had a quick listen on YT to his other stuff and there's a definite talent going on. Can't quite say what makes it different but i think he has a very distinct voice.

Saw him on YT playing Kashmir live and even that was an excellent version altho i'm not a huge Zep fan. I'll post on the What are you listening to thread.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peteb said:

I noticed that in the most recent Bass Direct newsletter, the first two bass builders being promoted were: Dingwall (as used by Lee Sklar) and Spector...! 

That's just good marketing. Promote and sell what's popular on the day.:lol:

Have to say well done BD.:hi:

Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’m curious about the patch on his studio ceiling. Man alive, I need to get out more!

It's a coombed ceiling mate. edit, sorry was looking at a freeze frame of a smaller shot. I see what you mean now. Shoddy workmanship

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1

I had to pick up a bass and learn this, it was soooo good.

I love the way he talks about brushing his hand across the strings, that percussive thing.

I've started to try it, and it's making me play without a pick. But then I play fingers, pick and just thumb sometimes.

You should all read Guy's book. It's really interesting

• Like 1

12 hours ago, police squad said:

I had to pick up a bass and learn this, it was soooo good.

I love the way he talks about brushing his hand across the strings, that percussive thing.

I've started to try it, and it's making me play without a pick. But then I play fingers, pick and just thumb sometimes.

Bobby Vega does that with a pick. He's got a really nice lick at the start of this where he does two triplet pull-offs then a raked muted triplet into an open hit on the bottom E (I believe a 'diddly-diddly-diddly-bom' is the technical term). I spent a bit of time getting the rake down and it's great fun to drop into a song. Of course it sounds like a bag of spanners if you don't nail it rhythmically... 

https://youtu.be/VL6v4BnitoU

Edited by borntohang
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, borntohang said:

Bobby Vega does that with a pick. He's got a really nice lick at the start of this where he does two triplet pull-offs then a raked muted triplet into an open hit on the bottom E (I belive a 'diddly-diddly-diddly-bom' is the technical term).I spent a bit of time getting the rake down and it's great fun to drop into a song. Of course it sounds like a bag of spanners if you don't nail it rhythmically... 

https://youtu.be/VL6v4BnitoU

Yeah, i was going to mention Bobby as well. I can do it ok, but never really find the right time to do it. In fact i can do it better when playing pick style without a pick. 

I just noticed all that fret buzz in Guys latest video. That would drive me nuts if my bass did that, and it has driven me nuts in the past, but then you hear it in context and its all gone. Just goes to show. 

Edited by dave_bass5

On 19/04/2020 at 16:23, peteb said:

Guy is back with a couple of Pink Floyd licks.

The more eagle-eyed may notice that his flies are undone in the second piece...! He did put something on Facebook asking if he should re-shoot it, which would take time to do, or just upload it anyway. He has obviously gone with the prevailing view to just put it out in all its glory as it is... 

yesss. in ya face slap haters😁😉. Actually I was more innerested in his playing than to check whether his flies were up or down! 

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Actually I was more innerested in his playing than to check whether his flies were up or down! 

But once you know it's unzipped, you can't unsee it. Rather like the dodgy patch on his ceiling in the Murder On The Dancefloor video. 😂

Edited by ezbass

7 minutes ago, ezbass said:

But once you know it's unzipped, you can't unseen it. Rather like the dodgy patch on his ceiling in the Murder On The Dancefloor video. 😂

At you will look every time, weather subconsciously or not 😁

Edited by dave_bass5

9 hours ago, police squad said:

Definitely. It's a cracking read. Here's a photo of me getting my copy signed by Guy at the Mansons guitar show some years ago.

20200524_192016_compress2.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Brilliant book. Its one you can read more than once.

It is and I have. Tony Levin’s Beyond The Bass Clef is another good collection of bass/biz anecdotes, but it might be out of print these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1