Why become a member? ×

Guy Pratt's Lockdown Licks

wateroftyne

Another Pratt lover  here  :ph34r:

Awesome bloke.   Fab interview here, although a bit short.  Eye opener was the bit about Gilmour playing fretless bass.  Apparently all the fretless bass on The Wall was Gilmour

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guy-pratt-the-80s-music-business-was-this-ludicrous-theme-park-awash-with-money-all-you-had-to-do-was-get-over-the-fence

And for good measure, Guy aged 22 with Aussie synthers Icehouse playing a cricket bat.

Anyone else see Icehouse at Milton Keynes Bowl supporting Bowie in the 80's ?

I must have seen Guy without knowing it

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fleabag said:

And for good measure, Guy aged 22 with Aussie synthers Icehouse playing a cricket bat.

YEP. I was there....

28 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Awesome bloke.   Fab interview here, although a bit short.  Eye opener was the bit about Gilmour playing fretless bass.  Apparently all the fretless bass on The Wall was Gilmour

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guy-pratt-the-80s-music-business-was-this-ludicrous-theme-park-awash-with-money-all-you-had-to-do-was-get-over-the-fence

Gilmour played a lot of bass on the Floyd albums over the years.

49 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Saw him at Murrayfield in mid 80s with Icehouse supporting Thompson Twins and Bowie. Has a wee chat on Twitter (or on here?) about this when I saw a wee clip of him talking about this! He’s a (very) top man and I appreciate his effort in communicating some minor joy!

ps...loved his wink at Good Times by Chic!

4 hours ago, fleabag said:

Great interview 👍

Here’s a pic of his 64 P Bass when I played it in 2009 - sadly paint would flake off if you just looked at it, but it was stunning to play and hear, so is now in the right hands for sure.  

83600AAC-ED8A-4F74-BD34-31B24F07BB35.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fleabag said:

I do love me a bit of Icehouse.

On 30/03/2020 at 18:59, dave_bass5 said:

This is quite funny, and very true, especially the intro’s bit. 

AC/DC......I really must learn that bit....cracked me up!!

6 hours ago, fleabag said:

If that was the serious moonlight tour, yep I was there..horrendous sunburn lol 

Ditto, didn't know anything about Guy or Icehouse at the time!

22 minutes ago, RichValentine said:

His videos are brilliant. Really enjoyed both of them now and tempted to get his book to read during isolation! 

Anyone else watch Like A Prayer then scour the classifieds for Spectors? 🤔

The book is really good. Well worth getting. 
Not a Spector, but I got my jazz bass out after seeing the first  vid. 

Edited by dave_bass5

12 hours ago, RichValentine said:

Anyone else watch Like A Prayer then scour the classifieds for Spectors? 🤔

There's no point.... I've got most of them! lol! ;)

But yes - his Spector sounded fantastic with the octave pedal. So glad to hear he still has it.... and used it on so many legendary recordings. Looking forward to hearing it on Earth Song next.... and some of the amazing Toy Matinee stuff!

47 minutes ago, cetera said:

There's no point.... I've got most of them! lol! ;)

Ain’t that the truth? 😂

Whilst the video is clearly an homage to Pino, it is a great line, well executed and kudos to Madge for keeping it on the track.

• Like 1

No idea why it keeps quoting on here....

21 hours ago, fleabag said:

On 02/04/2020 at 18:12, Chiliwailer said:

Great interview 👍

Here’s a pic of his 64 P Bass when I played it in 2009 - sadly paint would flake off if you just looked at it, but it was stunning to play and hear, so is now in the right hands for sure.  

83600AAC-ED8A-4F74-BD34-31B24F07BB35.jpeg

I also saw this when it was at New Kings Road around that time. IIRC they had it up for around £9K - not that bad actually considering the scarcity of the colour! Wonderful bass. Had quite a beefy neck, felt and sounded great. Sat there for at least a couple of years, I think. Definitely went to the right guy!

5 hours ago, rodney72a said:

I also saw this when it was at New Kings Road around that time. IIRC they had it up for around £9K - not that bad actually considering the scarcity of the colour! Wonderful bass. Had quite a beefy neck, felt and sounded great. Sat there for at least a couple of years, I think. Definitely went to the right guy!

Right you are, I was working there at the time - the flaky paint was putting people off. Plus they do always price on the, erm, higher side...