Why become a member? ×

Guy Pratt's Lockdown Licks

wateroftyne

Always been a fan of Guy’s. Very good feel to his playing. I started following him on FB recently and been waiting for todays YT video. Also a fan of the Jimmy Nail Album so this is a great first vid.

Might just have been me but his ‘bass face’ Reminded  me of Tim Starace (YYNot). 

• Like 2

enjoyed that. liked the story behind where the bass line came from. Always nice to know the thinking behind a song.

Guy is perfect for doing VID demo's Great voice and his playing is first class covering so many different styles over the years. And he's such a nice guy.

What's not to like.

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geoham said:

I had no idea that Guy played on this. Really enjoyed the video and looking forward to whatever else he treats us to!

Oddly enough i bought the CD at the time and wasn't aware it was Guy playing on it either. Maybe i did at the time and just forgot. :laugh1:

Dave

16 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

This, and The Young Person's Guide to Becoming a Rock Star was when i first became away of Guy. I still have both albums on my phone.

I LOVED the Young Person's Guide! Being a teenager learning to be a rockstar in Glasgow when it was originally broadcast, it really hit home! I remember using the Brill Building rehearsal rooms, where one of the scenes was filmed, and being told by the staff that the manager character was based on their boss, who also managed a very famous band at the time. 

26 minutes ago, geoham said:

I LOVED the Young Person's Guide! Being a teenager learning to be a rockstar in Glasgow when it was originally broadcast, it really hit home! I remember using the Brill Building rehearsal rooms, where one of the scenes was filmed, and being told by the staff that the manager character was based on their boss, who also managed a very famous band at the time. 

Cool story. I recently watched it all again on YT. Its one of my fav TV series. Love the interaction between the band members, and the music is great. 

Luckily I brought the CD when it first came out, doesn’t seem to be available now. 

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cool story. I recently watched it all again on YT. Its one of my fav TV series. Love the interaction between the band members, and the music is great. 

Luckily I brought the CD when it first came out, doesn’t seem to be available now. 

I watched them all recently, I loved it at the time as I was about 16 I think and just starting in bands and writing songs.

I was aware of Guy at the time but didn’t know the connection until his book came out. I remember being obsessed with his playing on Pink Floyds live album Pulse.

I saw him do stand up a couple of years ago and he is a true story teller, so easy to listen to and very entertaining. I just want another book now.

• Like 1

Yes, the book has quite a few of those ‘ah, so it was Guy’ moments in it. Love the book. It’s the only book ive read twice in the past 20 years. 

Also agree about Pulse. I downloaded it after reading the book, as I’m not really a PF fan, and its an album i put on when i want to relax. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Always thought Delicate Sound of Thunder tour was far better sound quality plus Guy used his Spector bass for his solo and it had a fantastic tone. I found his tone on Pulse a bit more mellow.

I had the old video of DSOT but couldn't find it on DVD.

Dave

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Always thought Delicate Sound of Thunder tour was far better sound quality plus Guy used his Spector bass for his solo and it had a fantastic tone. I found his tone on Pulse a bit more mellow.

I had the old video of DSOT but couldn't find it on DVD.

Dave

The tone on DSoT is great, but (IMO!) wrong for Floyd. Evidently Dave G. agreed...