Why become a member? ×

Amp PF20T. Whos got one? Do you love it ?!

CalDeep

Hey Guys! 

GAS Has set in. I do a lot of remote recording and this has me so intrigued. Ive got a DWJ 50W SVT clone that is great but Ive got to crank it so much and mic it etc, and now Im in quarantine I'm loving the idea of one of these on the desk top! Who's got one and how are you getting on? 

Edited by CalDeep

Some thoughts on the 20:

• I've recorded with it through a mic'd up cab. I assume the preamp and transformer output are also fine, but I haven't really used them beyond testing that they work.
  • It's loud enough for rehearsal. It may well be loud enough for a gig - I haven't tried it though. Usual caveats apply: I've never played a gig that didn't have PA support; my band plays at non-deafening volume and doesn't fight over frequency ranges; my cab is efficient (Barefaced One10 or Super Compact).
  • It is a pain in the derrière to carry. The odd shape means there's nowhere convenient to grip it in one hand. I haven't yet found a container that has the right dimensions and doesn't cost the earth.
  • It's surprisingly clean with a passive bass. Even at full gain, I have to use a clean boost in front if I want to to overdrive the pre-amp.
Edited by MartinB
  • Like 1

I have a 50t, and while I find the DI outputs very useful live or for quick demo recordings where the band are all in one room, for recording at home I like the sound much better with a mic on the cabinet even at very low volume. The speaker turns out to be a big part of what I think of as amp flavour when recording, and I'm not sure using a DI'd amp with no cab would be a satisfactory substitute for me. You've got a nice valve amp already, so there's definitely an argument for sticking with that!

• Like 1

I would agree with all of the above really. 

I have one and I love it, but it's the only amp I have, and it caters for all my home use needs

I made a B15 clone cab to go with it, but half the time I use it with the DI into a cab sim, such as the Two Notes Ampeg one, and it sounds great to me

• Like 1