Why become a member? ×

Uncool songs with good bass lines

Dubs

1 hour ago, owen said:

Haterz gonna hate, but Manilow has some seriously good material. You do not achieve that level of success without hitting the right spot. 

I came out a while ago about my love for Copacabana, and I'm not going back in now! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dubs said:

2 deeply uncool songs that I cannot stop playing along to at the moment:

• You're The One That I Want
  • Copacabana

Feels good to get that off my chest.

Think you need to look up the definition of 'uncool'. Neither of those fit the description. 

• Like 2

I got some abuse for trying a similar thread because I used a more jokey title like cr*p songs you actually enjoy playing. 

It seems no matter how patently uncool and dreadful something is, someone somewhere will defend it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

The theme from Minder. Not cool but love it. (Dennis Waterman wrote the theme tune, sang the theme tune)

At a gig in Manchester last year that came on on the jukebox - us kockneykunts as we were affectionately known joined in and showed the northernmonkeys a thing or two about how to sing along to a proper song.

10 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

No he didn't. Gerard Kenny wrote the music.

According to Wiki, the tune was co-written by Kenny and Patricia Waterman, who was the second wife of Dennis hence the confusion. I didn’t know that either!

9 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Back in the day I never had anything to do with abba , but listening now they have some really good well produced tunes 

I remember my friends laughing at me for liking ABBA in the mid/late 70’s, really glad they became so iconic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

No he didn't. Gerard Kenny wrote the music.

It was my reluctant reference to the Little Britain sketch that I tried to pre-empt! His band is great but it was obviously all put together for him. I knew it was his ex-wife with someone but couldn't recall Kenny's first name. Mo Foster's playing is great. We used to cover it circa 1999.

• Like 2

Not aimed at any individual...

This thing about tunes being cool or uncool is utter crap.  What 'you' really mean is you either like something or you don't.  Take the OP as an example - You're the one that I want was no 1 for 9 weeks.  That fact in itself is pretty cool. When the movie came out, I can guarantee nearly all the heterosexual males at the time 'wanted' olivia newton john in those spray on trousers. 

Seems to me that a lot of folk claim that any song that's fun, successful or in a genre thay don't like is uncool.  

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Anything by Wham. LOTS of great basslines on that stuff....

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go. Insanely nice playing. Every time I play it/hear it, I'm like, dayum... I wish I had come up with some of these lines.

• Like 2