Why become a member? ×

Guess the bass....a quiz for the locked down at home

LukeFRC

Guess the bass....  

16 members have voted

1. 1. I don't know, but my favourite is....

• Clip 1 Green
    • Clip 2 Orange
    • Clip 3 Blue
    • Clip 4 Red
    • Clip 5 Grey
    • Clip 6 Oatmeal

Just for fun I made a wee comparison... 
Six clips... but only four basses. Two of the clips are the same bass again but with a different settings and hand positions, just to make it a little bit harder.

Can you guess what they are? 

Explanation:

• We're all shut inside and I realised my HX Stomp is an audio interface and it would be worth trying out. I've never really recorded anything before into my laptop... 
  • Setup is Bass>HX stomp> Garageband.... I was struggling with gain levels a bit so took a feed from the Stomp into a mixer and had bass and the drum track into it... goodness knows how bad my timing actually is.
  • Drum loop is one of the prebuilt Garageband ones because hearing bass outside the context of a band isn't that interesting. Plus my timing is bad enough with a drum track!
  • I have no idea what I'm playing! It's something I came up with that covers all four strings. I mess it up quite a bit. I've never claimed to be a good player!! :D
  • It was late, "oh iMovie will be easier than Premier pro" I thought... How wrong was I. I do claim to be a professional graphic designer so ignore the visuals iMovie made... I should have used comic sans and pretended it's ironic... 
  • All basses have completely different strings and controls are set "how I would play them live" rather than any nominal "flat" setting. It's not scientific sorry. I tend to have any preamps that some of the basses may or may not have flat, or tiny bits of boost or cut anyway. I tried to equalise volume as best I could in Garageband... 
  • Everything is flat in Garageband except one that had crazy top end I tamed slightly
  • The HX stomp is as flat as it can be with no blocks whatsoever used.
  • I made this for fun. Also to start thinking about if I need so many basses. 
  • the DIY bitsa of my own design in my profile picture got sold, so they are all basses that have been either mass produced or small scale production built and would have been available at a decent large music shop when they were released... nothing super boutique. 
  • Sorry again for my playing. 

Edited by LukeFRC

Answers

Clip 1 Green Lakland 55-94 (Neck and rear coil of bridge, wearing new Lakland Nickels)

Clip 2 Orange:  Sadowsky Will Lee (Both pickups, tone down a bit a slight bass boost, wearing very old Sadowsky blue labels I think)

Clip 3 Blue: Lakland 55-94 (Neck pickup, wearing new Lakland Nickels)

Clip 4 Red:  G&L L1000 (wearing Chromes)

Clip 5 Grey: Warwick Streamer Stage 1 (I think both pickups and wearing newish DR Fatbeams I think)

Clip 6 Oatmeal:  Lakland 55-94 (Bridge pup in humbucker mode, wearing new Lakland Nickels)

Edited by LukeFRC
Answers
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bassfan said:

What are the 4 basses? 

Good point... I've made it a bit simpler above with a multiple choice. 
Not sure I want to say exactly what the 4 basses are as it's more interesting to know what people ears are telling them rather then their eyes. 
I mean their ears are probably telling them I need to practice way more and don;'t know how to record... but I wouldn't disagree with that!

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I’m surprised too. Maybe it’s because in the recordings it sounded warmer? I did only listen on my phone. I’ll revisit the lot later, was the sadowsky with the WL switch engaged? And the lakky 3 times! 

See I've a theory that people did listen on the phone... and it is the brightest sounding of them too... but now maybe the "warmer" is that classic Warwick growl. 

The alternative theory is that people listen with their eyes, and don't like Warwicks... but it's a great bass, a lovely 1991 streamer stage 1, Chris at Alpher Instruments sorted the frets for me years back so it plays absolutely amazingly and it's got some brilliant Bart pickups in it. Oddly if I turned the drums off it doesn't sound that good.

Sadowsky was without the WL switch engaged. 

And yes three times. It's the newest and I'm still not 100% about this whole 5 string thing so it was an opportunity to hear how it sounded. 

3 minutes ago, ped said:

Good game. Shows how flexible the Lakland is. 

Yep, I just need to work out how to play in with the B string!

• Like 1

Sounds like you need to keep the Warwick and the lakky and talk to me about off loading that Will Lee. 😂 

Im also particularly impressed by the range of Dulux colours available especially the adventurous oatmeal. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Sounds like you need to keep the Warwick and the lakky and talk to me about off loading that Will Lee. 😂 

Im also particularly impressed by the range of Dulux colours available especially the adventurous oatmeal. 

It was late, I was tired, I’m not good at spelling and spelling beige was beyond me at that point!! 

erm no - to my ears the Will Lee is the one I like the sound of the most. It was nice to get the Warwick our again too. I forget how nice it is to play

• Like 1