Why become a member? ×

More new (old) blood...

tom1946

Hi all,
I'm Tom, 62 years old, played 12 string almost exclusively since the 60's until last november when our bass player left to have twins, (or rather his wife did).
My good lady also plays guitar so I had to learn bass very quickly to stand in.

We play in a Methodist church band and before you groan it's quite trendy with keyboards, drums, 2 guitars and bass with some great voices.

I say "had to learn" loosely because I have arrived at the heady level of beginner already ;) I can do a few runs and manage to hit the right notes at the right time.
Have to say I'm lovin' it! I thought bass would be boring as hell but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Obviously my kit isn't anything special but I have as my main tree trunk a Musicman Stingray 4 string in Teal blue, a Fender Jazz Mex in wine with the chrome bits on and I've just sold my MIJ Precision. (Neck too phat for my little hands)

Amp wise I have a Marshall 450 watt combo, a 60w Carlsboro combo and a couple of Kustom combo's laid about.

I should perhaps mention that I own a guitar shop in sunny Whitby as well as a computer shop so I have a lot of toys to play with :P

I have loads to learn and as I'm still young I'm looking for a good bass teacher in our area. This forum is absolutely great too!!

Have a great day y'all

Welcome Tom,
I'll be 62 in June and consider it's never too late to become a bass player - mind you I did start in 1964. I note the church reference and reckon my grounding in playing organ in a Methodist church at an early age gave me a distinct advantage in appreciating bass parts - there are some great bass lines in hymn tunes as you will know. Good luck and enjoy the forum.