• Gap Height 0.37", 9.53mm
  • Voice Coil Diameter 2.5", 63.5mm
  • Resonant Frequency (fs) 65Hz
  • DC Resistance (Re) 11.6
  • Coil Inductance (Le) 0.79mH
  • Mechanical Q (Qms) 8.34
  • Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 0.35
  • Total Q (Qts) 0.33
  • Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) 36 liters / 1.27 cu.ft.
  • Peak Diaphragm Displacement Volume (Vd) 62cc
  • Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms) 0.21mm/N
  • BL Product (BL) 19.5 T-M
  • Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (MMs) 28 grams
  • Efficiency Bandwidth Product (EBP) 186
  • Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax) 1.8mm
  • Surface Area of Cone (Sd) 344.9 cm2
  • Maximum Mechanical Limit (Xlim) 9mm
  • Recommended Enclosure Volume

Sealed 9.9-12.7 liters / 0.35-0.45 cu.ft.

Vented 10.8-34 liters / 0.38-1.2 cu.ft.

Driver Volume Displaced 86.5 cu.in. / 1.42 liters

Edited by fleabag

Thanks Bill, yes.  I may not have the tech savvy, but i do take in what you and the other guys say about simply stuffing any old drivers in a cab without a second thought.

I think i will remove them and put the originals back in. 

I cant find anything about them.  I thought SICAS were blue coloured, at least when they supplied them back when ,  so they may not be SICAS.

I tried googling those numbers on the back  in the photo,  but google threw up nothing.

Edited by fleabag

I think most combos and cheap cabs are a fair low volume compromise but suffer from a less than ideal cab design or speaker choice to go loud. I opened one brand new well known make of cab and found a 100 watt speaker in a cab rated at 200 watts at 8 ohms. When I contacted the maker they said if the speaker failed they would replace but it never did and I never had trouble with it at medium volume.  I reckon your combo is ok for most uses? Changing any speaker in a combo is very hit and miss but may be ok for low and medium volume. I have used a few less than perfectly designed combos in the past and managed. Do you have a decent extension cab that is great quality and a keeper? I am a fan of Bills diy cabs and it always surprised me how much volume comes out of ones i made using just a single Beta 10 speaker compared to cheap commercial cabs i used. 

• Like 1

Bill is right the Delta/Alpha/Beta 10s are less than ideal for bass and unlikely to improve on the stock drivers. Remember the cabinet was tuned to get the best out of the drivers it was supplied with subject to the contraints of cost/the marketing department etc.

As for the original Blue Line driver, it could well be a SICA but probably made in the far east under licence in the same way that Eminence do. The real clue is in the lettering on the back of the driver. The contries thta use the graphical writing style tend to favour serifed fonts whearas Western countries  favour non -serifed  characters. My advice is to put the original drivers back in.

• Like 1

There's more than one Delta 10. The A version, 8 ohms, has 3.5mm xmax, which is adequate. The B version, 16 ohms, has 1.8mm xmax, which is not adequate. 1.8 mm versus 3.5mm xmax means the B will only take half the voltage, one quarter the power, before heavy distortion occurs. Even the A is no prize, with a resonant frequency (Fs) of 66Hz it's best employed as a PA midbass, with separate subs handling the lows. Both the Alpha 10 and Beta 10, with Fs of  50 and 53Hz respectively, are better for electric bass.

• Like 1

Followed advice, originals back in for now, but right now i'm waiting for a pair of quiet fans to be delivered, because the stock ones are too noisy,  so the amp is out of the box.

I have been mulling over  other drivers , just maybe for the future, and like the look of the Beyma 10G40 at Blue Aran

https://usspeaker.com/beyma 10G40-1.htm

Edited by fleabag

One question regarding the fans on the back of the amp, something i should have checked before pulling them out,  do they blow inwards onto the heatsinks, or extract the air off the heatsinks and blow it out the back of the amp ?

21 hours ago, fleabag said:

One question regarding the fans on the back of the amp, something i should have checked before pulling them out,  do they blow inwards onto the heatsinks, or extract the air off the heatsinks and blow it out the back of the amp ?

Usually the latter.

• Like 1

As Bill has said those drivers are overkill, not to mention the weight! They are way cheaper over here though.

I think you have used the SM110's before but these might be worth a look https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA610CVM28&browsemode=manufacturer I know @Chienmortbb has tried the 12" version and is fairly impressed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

If you look at the fans they will have an arrow on the top usually pointing to the direction of airflow.

Thanks and will check them,  but its which way they were facing that i dont know, because i  pulled them out before checking

Edited by fleabag

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

You need to look at the amp as it may be that one fan blows inwards, the other blows outwards. It depends on where they are placed. 

They were both facing the same way,  so either both blowing or both extracting

The red wire off each were joined and the black wires were joined as well

20 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

As Bill has said those drivers are overkill, not to mention the weight! They are way cheaper over here though.

I think you have used the SM110's before but these might be worth a look https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA610CVM28&browsemode=manufacturer I know @Chienmortbb has tried the 12" version and is fairly impressed.

Yes Phil i did use the SM110/n  drivers in my two 2x10 cabs at the time

Those in your link look great, but i'll wait till my new fans arrive, and check what the combo sounds like with the originals, as they're now mounted back in.

I wont be upgrading unless its necessary

On 29/03/2020 at 19:27, fleabag said:

If you want to cool your hot drink, do you blow or suck?

A fan in suction pulls air from anywhere on the suction side. A fan blowing directes the air in a particular direction. If you want something cooled, the fan should blow onto it.

David

• Like 1

My preference is blowing out. Blowing in can result in dust accumulation on the heatsink, reducing its effectiveness over time. I've seen fans with filters to prevent dust from ending up inside, on computers, but not on amps. They're not a panacea either, you have to periodically clean the filters. Pro-sound rack mount power amps can be either in or out flowing, with the fans on either the front or back. With those I've seen occasions where an out flow from one amp can get pulled into the in flow of another amp, leading to a very uncool result.

Having now checked the fans, they were blowing  in onto  the heat sinks,  and judging by the dust on the fins of the sinks,  that confirms what you say Bill, although it wasnt a huge amount of dust

But since Ashdown designed the fans to blow  in and not extract out,  i shall  be mouting the new ones to blow onto the heat sinks