Why become a member? ×

Music Related Lockdown Discoveries

stewblack

Things I have discovered during this period of isolation.

1: The sleep function of the G75 really works. Put the guitar down while going to the loo and the batteries cease to drain until you pick it up again.

2: Lloytron recheargable batteries bought from Proper Job run out when the remaining battery time on the G75 shows 3 hours and 30 minutes.

3: A fully charged set of Lidl 'Tronic' recheargables shows 6 hours 45 minutes when inserted.

4: I realise 2 and 3 above are pretty useless pieces of information when trying to determine the playing time privided by either Lloytron or Tronic.

5: Even the most disgusting cough sweets contain sugar.

6: 5 isn't more than tenuously connected with music but is important to me.

7: Plectrum delivery time, even while using Amazon Prime, is entirely unpredictable.

8: I have too much bass gear.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Today I discovered that people who were talking  about Jaco Pastorious as if he were still alive were not in fact mad. 

I have been conflating Pino Palladino with Jaco Pastorious. 

Turns out they are actually two different people! 

• Haha 2

I have discovered this week that you should not buy expensive strings that you see either second hand or new at an unbeatable discount.

What happens if you like them? They feel great, sound amazing? Hmm?

You will now be unable to cheerfully string your bass collection with those amazing cheap ebay specials you normally buy. Why? Because you just gave yourself a taste for something you cannot afford.

Face.

Palm.

• Haha 1

On 27/03/2020 at 17:47, stewblack said:

Things I have discovered during this period of isolation.

1: The sleep function of the G75 really works. Put the guitar down while going to the loo and the batteries cease to drain until you pick it up again.

2: Lloytron recheargable batteries bought from Proper Job run out when the remaining battery time on the G75 shows 3 hours and 30 minutes.

3: A fully charged set of Lidl 'Tronic' recheargables shows 6 hours 45 minutes when inserted.

4: I realise 2 and 3 above are pretty useless pieces of information when trying to determine the playing time privided by either Lloytron or Tronic.

5: Even the most disgusting cough sweets contain sugar.

6: 5 isn't more than tenuously connected with music but is important to me.

7: Plectrum delivery time, even while using Amazon Prime, is entirely unpredictable.

8: I have too much bass gear.

5. Halls do a 'menthol' cough sweet that does not contain sugar: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Halls-Cherry-Mentho-Lyptus-Throat-Lozenges/dp/B0054RHYEO/ref=pd_lpo_121_t_0/258-9471417-8423135?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0054RHYEO&pd_rd_r=d06b3b0e-81da-4163-8559-22acc77a1402&pd_rd_w=YiU6r&pd_rd_wg=IrCVL&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=TQ73JE0KA04CB67R1CF4&psc=1&refRID=TQ73JE0KA04CB67R1CF4

2 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

This week I discovered that 'Phil Jones the Bass' is not in fact Welsh! :facepalm:

However for balance, I heard that Pino, is actually Welsh. 👍

From the PJB website:

After graduating from college in electronics in the early 70’s, I enrolled into The Welsh College of Music & Drama in Cardiff, Wales where I was living at the time. The WCM&D then had a very conservative view on music. They did not even consider the bass guitar a real instrument! So I opted for learning the Upright Bass classical-style and taught by Earnest C. Haigh. (He was an 81-year old musician with 60 years of bass playing experience and a former principle bassist with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra).

I was playing in Rock, R&B and Jazz groups in bars, nightclubs and did some studio work for the BBC TV company in order to pay for my music tuition. One thing that had always frustrated me was that the current equipment for bass players was never up to the sound that was in my mind. It seemed that there was always a disconnection between the equipment and me. So I started to modify my basses and amplification on the search of the Holy Grail of great bass tone. I learnt about loudspeakers from a true pioneer of audio, the late Mr. Reginald Solomon. A cinema – sound engineer, who worked most of his life for Western Electric. (W.E. was the original founder of the pro-sound industry). This led me to becoming a pro-sound engineer working first for Vitavox, a respected and old British Loudspeaker company that manufactured huge horn cinema speakers. After this I started my own sound reinforcement company in London. Two things stayed with me, my fascination for bass playing and sound. I was building a lot of my own recording equipment in my studio then. The speakers I used for near-field monitoring were my own design. These later became the Acoustic Energy AE1’s now considered a milestone in the evolution of hi-fi and also in the recording industry. GRP records (a renowned Jazz label) used AE speakers and even eventually the famed Abbey Road studios too. 

In 1990 I moved to USA and worked briefly for Boston Acoustics in New England designing their premier loudspeaker range, the Lynnfield series. In 1994 I founded Platinum Audio, which made expensive home hi-fi speakers and studio monitors. In that period I designed probably the worlds most expensive and massive home loudspeaker system: the Air-Pulse, which sold for $175,000 a pair! The Japan Audio Society praised the Air-Pulse as the best loudspeaker ever developed in the 100-year history of loudspeakers! 

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

After graduating from college in electronics in the early 70’s, I enrolled into The Welsh College of Music & Drama in Cardiff, Wales [...]

You are actually Phil Jones?? ... :shok: (I won't tell anybody!)

Edited by Ricky 4000

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

After graduating from college in electronics in the early 70’s, I enrolled into The Welsh College of Music & Drama in Cardiff, Wales where I was living at the time. The WCM&D then had a very conservative view on music. They did not even consider the bass guitar a real instrument! So I opted for learning the Upright Bass classical-style and taught by Earnest C. Haigh. (He was an 81-year old musician with 60 years of bass playing experience and a former principle bassist with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra).

I was playing in Rock, R&B and Jazz groups in bars, nightclubs and did some studio work for the BBC TV company in order to pay for my music tuition. One thing that had always frustrated me was that the current equipment for bass players was never up to the sound that was in my mind. It seemed that there was always a disconnection between the equipment and me. So I started to modify my basses and amplification on the search of the Holy Grail of great bass tone. I learnt about loudspeakers from a true pioneer of audio, the late Mr. Reginald Solomon. A cinema – sound engineer, who worked most of his life for Western Electric. (W.E. was the original founder of the pro-sound industry). This led me to becoming a pro-sound engineer working first for Vitavox, a respected and old British Loudspeaker company that manufactured huge horn cinema speakers. After this I started my own sound reinforcement company in London. Two things stayed with me, my fascination for bass playing and sound. I was building a lot of my own recording equipment in my studio then. The speakers I used for near-field monitoring were my own design. These later became the Acoustic Energy AE1’s now considered a milestone in the evolution of hi-fi and also in the recording industry. GRP records (a renowned Jazz label) used AE speakers and even eventually the famed Abbey Road studios too. 

In 1990 I moved to USA and worked briefly for Boston Acoustics in New England designing their premier loudspeaker range, the Lynnfield series. In 1994 I founded Platinum Audio, which made expensive home hi-fi speakers and studio monitors. In that period I designed probably the worlds most expensive and massive home loudspeaker system: the Air-Pulse, which sold for $175,000 a pair! The Japan Audio Society praised the Air-Pulse as the best loudspeaker ever developed in the 100-year history of loudspeakers! 

...and you only discovered all this during the lockdown? Must have been quite an afternoon on Google. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, naxos10 said:

Impressive  resume there yorks5stringer. being a bit of a hi-fi nut in the past I know the speaker companies you worked for and saw/read a complimentary review of the Air-Pulse's some years back.

I lifted it from Phil Jone's resume (TBH I was too lazy to say it was PJ) but just did a quick C&P from his website.