Left leaderboard
gareth

Government help

2 minutes ago, gareth said:

Yes here’s my mate buying stuff for all the neighbours to make sure they don’t go without 

23B7FF28-4B52-4477-9652-F6F731118569.jpeg

Whilst I suspect your comment was tongue in cheek, how do you know he was not buying for neighbours/family or even to stock a shop?  No-one can go through around 200 rolls on their own...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Whilst I suspect your comment was tongue in cheek, how do you know he was not buying for neighbours/family or even to stock a shop?  No-one can go through around 200 rolls on their own...

B5F49231-2419-4B61-B42E-D29205D643D7.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 28/03/2020 at 11:24, yorks5stringer said:

His family and friends need no other supplies?  If he's buying them to stock a shop from another shop he IS the problem, and no doubt will be selling them at a marked up price.

30 minutes ago, Nicko said:

His family and friends need no other supplies?  If he's buying them to stock a shop from another shop he IS the problem, and no doubt will be selling them at a marked up price.

Just saying it is easy to make a judgement based on a photo without knowing the background behind it. As for selling at a marked up price, very few neighbourhood shops beat the prices at a big supermarket, if at all.  Have you looked at the price of hand sanitiser on eBay? Even my local Pharmacy is selling it at treble the price of 6 weeks ago.

2 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Even my local Pharmacy is selling it at treble the price of 6 weeks ago.

2 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Even my local Pharmacy is selling it at treble the price of 6 weeks ago.

Have you asked them why the price has trebled?

2 minutes ago, gareth said:

Have you asked them why the price has trebled?

No, expect I was lucky to get it, law of supply and demand. It  was around £0-99 a little bottle last time I bought some, admittedly years ago, now  £2.99.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

No, expect I was lucky to get it, law of supply and demand. It  was around £0-99 a little bottle last time I bought some, admittedly years ago, now  £2.99.

It's a fine line between supply&demand and profiteering. 

20 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Just saying it is easy to make a judgement based on a photo without knowing the background behind it. As for selling at a marked up price, very few neighbourhood shops beat the prices at a big supermarket, if at all.  Have you looked at the price of hand sanitiser on eBay? Even my local Pharmacy is selling it at treble the price of 6 weeks ago.

Its easy to make a judgement because there are virtually no circumstances under which anyone would need to buy that amount of bog roll, whilst buying absolutely nothing else. 

Very few shops beat the supermarket price because they buy at wholesalers who are a middle man and therefore the cost price for local shops is higher than for a supermarket which buys direct.  Buying at a local shop is either a necessity or a convenience.

However, buying at a supermarket to sell onwards benefits only the shopkeeper, not those that would have bought at the supermarket at the normal price.

2 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Its easy to make a judgement because there are virtually no circumstances under which anyone would need to buy that amount of bog roll, whilst buying absolutely nothing else. 

Very few shops beat the supermarket price because they buy at wholesalers who are a middle man and therefore the cost price for local shops is higher than for a supermarket which buys direct.  Buying at a local shop is either a necessity or a convenience.

However, buying at a supermarket to sell onwards benefits only the shopkeeper, not those that would have bought at the supermarket at the normal price.

I thought most small shops bought their stock mainly from Cash & Carry establishments where the general public didn't have access. Shopkeepers hoovering up supplies from supermarkets are most likely profiteering in my opinion.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Here’s an interesting example on fb where an eBay trader is being castigated for apparently quadrupling the price of toilet rolls

The buyer bought at £10. The seller cancelled the order and then re listed at £40 

In my view there is not enough information to condemn the seller

To do this you would need to know:-

1 Did he cancel the order because he was out of stock

2 What was his purchase price when he listed at £10

3 What was his purchase price when he listed at £40

4 Was the percentage markup on 2 and 3 similar 

This is an example of how the seller could be innocent

He buys in at £5 and sells at £10 but had sold out and was unable to meet the purchasers purchase at £10 - he had no stock left. His supplier then re supplies him but at £20 instead of £5. The seller now with new stock now relists at the same 100% sales mark up giving a sales price of £40

7F2839E0-F272-49FF-9B82-ADE4C8608C76.png

1E57959E-DD04-476F-AAAD-15CB8565F12C.png

83892022-A922-4E10-B35F-36E29F15D3EC.png

Edited by gareth

Bolox - very easy to blame the next person but if that actually happened they should take down the product and tell their supplier to sod off rather than increasing their price too. But they don't because they want to profiteer from it too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ped said:

Bolox - very easy to blame the next person but if that actually happened they should take down the product and tell their supplier to sod off rather than increasing their price too. But they don't because they want to profiteer from it too.

As I said you’d need to see the suppliers invoice used as a basis for the pricing of the £10 item and suppliers invoice used as a basis for the pricing of the £40 item

6 minutes ago, gareth said:

As I said you’d need to see the suppliers invoice used as a basis for the pricing of the £10 item and suppliers invoice used as a basis for the pricing of the £40 item

Whether the supplier does that or not doesn't matter - any retailer with a moral code will tell them do get lost rather than peddle their inflated wares to the public. If enough retailers did the same (and I don't think they're telling the truth anyway) then the suppliers wouldn't be able to take the customer for a ride like that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ped said:

Whether the supplier does that or not doesn't matter - any retailer with a moral code will tell them do get lost rather than peddle their inflated wares to the public. If enough retailers did the same (and I don't think they're telling the truth anyway) then the suppliers wouldn't be able to take the customer for a ride like that. 

any retailer with a moral code”

There are no morals in business - the sole purpose of business is profit maximisation

If enoughretailers did the same 

Will never happen - self interest will prevail

suppliers wouldn't be able to take the customer for a ride like that.”

Suppliers are businesses too - so profit maximisation is the sole goal 

Business is increasingly about morals and ethics, and hopefully those that ignore them will find out the hard way.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ped said:

Business is increasingly about morals and ethics, and hopefully those that ignore them will find out the hard way.

“Business is increasingly about morals and ethics”

Only because it’s good for business - that is good for profits - profit maximisation being the sole aim - if by appearing concerned with morals and ethics increases the bottom line business will do it

25 minutes ago, gareth said:

“Business is increasingly about morals and ethics”

Only because it’s good for business - that is good for profits - profit maximisation being the sole aim - if by appearing concerned with morals and ethics increases the bottom line business will do it

Some will. Many won't. I wouldn't. 

Thread re-rail.

I'm a Brit whose lived in Germany for the last 30 years. The Government here promised financial help for the self employed a couple of weeks ago. They rolled it out last Friday. My online application was submitted on Sunday morning just after 6 am. The money arrived on my account just over an hour ago. That's roughly 80 hrs between applying and receiving the money.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SICbass said:

Thread re-rail.

I'm a Brit whose lived in Germany for the last 30 years. The Government here promised financial help for the self employed a couple of weeks ago. They rolled it out last Friday. My online application was submitted on Sunday morning just after 6 am. The money arrived on my account just over an hour ago. That's roughly 80 hrs between applying and receiving the money.

It sounds like some countries had a strategic plan and a bit of preparation in place !

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lurksalot said:

It sounds like some countries had a strategic plan and a bit of preparation in place !

The difference is no doubt that the German Government has not been systematically underfunding the operation of all public services for the last 10 yrs. although the Prime Minister has tweeted tonight about Covid 19 testing and a couple of weeks ago about ramping up testing, the lack of staff and resources to carry it out are part of what has blocked it. It will be interesting to see what happens when the additional 1 million testing kits start to appear (next week).

Interesting to hear Ped talking about schools - back in the 1990s when my children were at school they had classrooms out of use because of leaking rooves and the like and no funding to deal with it - caused by a systematic underfunding of public services - that Govt got kicked out for it!! Some parallels with the current one as well (not least it was the same political party)! 

Edited by drTStingray

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

The difference is no doubt that the German Government has not been systematically underfunding the operation of all public services for the last 10 yrs. although the Prime Minister has tweeted tonight about Covid 19 testing and a couple of weeks ago about ramping up testing, the lack of staff and resources to carry it out are part of what has blocked it. It will be interesting to see what happens when the additional 1 million testing kits start to appear (next week).

Interesting to hear Ped talking about schools - back in the 1990s when my children were at school they had classrooms out of use because of leaking rooves and the like and no funding to deal with it - caused by a systematic underfunding of public services - that Govt got kicked out for it!! Some parallels with the current one as well (not least it was the same political party)! 

Interesting because when Labour came in they enthusiastically took on board what the Tories had started..PFI. This built a load of schools and hospitals but hid the true cost from the balance books and we are still paying for it now. One wonders why the Govt then could not be more open about these costs, was it the electorate would not have stood for it?  Nowadays when Boris says he is building 40 new hospitals we all know we will be lucky to see 4 or 5. Is it the bar has been lowered considerably re expectations? Actually, when the current sh*tstorm is over we may not see any new hospitals....?

Edited by yorks5stringer

18 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Interesting because when Labour came in they enthusiastically took on board what the Tories had started..PFI. This built a load of schools and hospitals but hid the true cost from the balance books and we are still paying for it now. One wonders why the Govt then could not be more open about these costs, was it the electorate would not have stood for it?  Nowadays when Boris says he is building 40 new hospitals we all know we will be lucky to see 4 or 5. Is it the bar has been lowered considerably re expectations? Actually, when the current sh*tstorm is over we may not see any new hospitals....?

PFI what an absolute disaster

Just like tax credits - absolute madness

of course the elephant in the room with the self employed claiming loss of earnings is that very few of them actually declare their full earnings on their tax return.

6 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

of course the elephant in the room with the self employed claiming loss of earnings is that very few of them actually declare their full earnings on their tax return.

That’s called KARMA isn’t it great

• Like 1