Left leaderboard
gareth

Government help

The profit test to qualify for Self Employed Income Support Scheme is: You must have profits below £50,000 AND self-employed profits must be more than half your total taxable income. You can meet that tests in just 2018/19 OR on average of 2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19....

A bit of a killer for semi pro musos who derive less than half their income from music?

9 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Yes. Profits below 50k 🙂

And crucially “profits must be more than half your total taxable income”

My week job pays ok. My gigging is essential to make up the difference, but it isn't half of my income so I'm not eligible! And since my day job is with the NHS, I'm working my derrière off at the moment whilst all my mates have their feet up. 

😡

• Thanks 3

As a full time player and teacher, this is a godsend. 
95% of my work disappeared with a stroke of a pen last week. 
I have been Completely self employed for 15+ years. 
we may have to wait until June, but better late than never. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DanOwens said:

And since my day job is with the NHS, I'm working my derrière off at the moment whilst all my mates have their feet up. 

😡

And for that I sincerely thank you. Hopefully when we're through this a far bigger percentage of the nation will be thankful for the NHS rather than slating it at any opportunity. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Maude said:

And for that I sincerely thank you. Hopefully when we're through this a far bigger percentage of the nation will be thankful for the NHS rather than slating it at any opportunity. 

I don't think anyone slates the NHS, just the mismanagement of it. I've never heard anyone say a bad word about frontline staff. If one good thing comes of all this, hopefully it will make the nation realise how vital the NHS is, and stop the government from running it into the ground and selling it off in pieces like they've been doing for the past 10 years. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I don't think anyone slates the NHS, just the mismanagement of it. I've never heard anyone say a bad word about frontline staff. If one good thing comes of all this, hopefully it will make the nation realise how vital the NHS is, and stop the government from running it into the ground and selling it off in pieces like they've been doing for the past 10 years. 

You don't live in this country. Sadly there are a few morons who are so self centered they do slate the NHS, as though they are owned something.

Just now, hooky_lowdown said:

You don't live in this country. Sadly there are a few morons who are so self centered they do slate the NHS, as though they are owned something.

Yeah I suppose there would be. There has always been dregs of society that think the world owes them something. But I think the nation generally knows how truly lucky they are to have a national health service. Hopefully even more so given the current situation. 

Yes everyone will be right behind that until they’re asked to pay for it

10 minutes ago, ped said:

Yes everyone will be right behind that until they’re asked to pay for it

The NHS do not need more money they need to use the money they do have far more efficiency and less waste fully 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, gareth said:

The NHS do not need more money they need to use the money they do have far more efficiency and less waste fully 

Yes they said the same about schools. In the meantime we had no money for glue sticks. 

• Like 2

Just now, ped said:

Yes they said the same about schools. In the meantime we had no money for glue sticks. 

Yes exactly the same 

Was there no money for glue sticks because too much of the available money was mis spent?

Just now, gareth said:

Yes exactly the same 

Was there no money for glue sticks because too much of the available money was mis spent?

Well it wasn’t being spent on the upkeep or maintenance but who knows. All I know is that I’d be more than happy to pay more tax for our public services. At the end of the day it all came down to there being less and less available. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ped said:

Well it wasn’t being spent on the upkeep or maintenance but who knows. All I know is that I’d be more than happy to pay more tax for our public services. At the end of the day it all came down to there being less and less available. 

Me too Ped

I’d be happy to pay more tax but only if I thought it would help and was the real problem

But its not

The real problem in NHS and schools is that much of the existing money is wasted and mis spent 

IMHO obviously 

8 hours ago, gareth said:

Me too Ped

I’d be happy to pay more tax but only if I thought it would help and was the real problem

But its not

The real problem in NHS and schools is that much of the existing money is wasted and mis spent 

IMHO obviously 

There’s definitely that too. Example, nearly every secondary school wasted hundreds of thousands on ‘interactive white boards’ which are almost never set up or even plugged in, the pens are missing or software isn’t installed. Everyone prefers just a normal whiteboard you can project on and scribble on with a pen but the interactive white boards can’t be written on. An absolutely criminal waste of money. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, ped said:

There’s definitely that too. Example, nearly every secondary school wasted hundreds of thousands on ‘interactive white boards’ which are almost never set up or even plugged in, the pens are missing or software isn’t installed. Everyone prefers just a normal whiteboard you can project on and scribble on with a pen but the interactive white boards can’t be written on. An absolutely criminal waste of money. 

Schools used to be run centrally and heads would just concentrate on the important bit of teaching kids

Then they were given their own budgets and told to run the schools as a business 

Heads had no experience in managing things commercially and they made huge mistakes in procuring goods and services etc

Hopefully heads are more business savvy now but I have a feeling they are not 

Why should they be?

They are skilled in teaching not the ways of business and helping my clients not just minimise their tax bills but improve the efficiency and profitability of their businesses 

Edited by gareth

45 minutes ago, grandad said:

Blackboard & chalk?

At my last teaching post I removed my smart board as it wasn’t plugged in and nobody did anything about it (I had no board to actually write on). I left it in the staff room then bought a bucket of blackboard paint and painted most of the wall with it. It was brilliant. Meanwhile my requests for the blinds to be fixed and the windows to be fixed so that they opened were ignored. That was the hottest, stuffiest room I’ve ever had to stand in, and with 35 kids in there wasn’t even enough room for tables. 

• Like 1

I'd say part of the issues with the NHS is that we have adopted the wrong philospophy to health. The NHS is in the grip of the drug companies and there has to be a pill for every ailment rather than looking at what we eat and what we do to stay healthy. We now have generations of people who will live less long than their parents and illnesses like diabetes are on the rise. Fast Food is everywhere and it matters not where it is situated as it can be delivered at the swipe of an app. You are what you eat.

• Like 2

In short, the NHS was not built for what it does.

It tries it’s best to do absolutely everything free of charge, which is hard with a rising population and technological/medical advances, which have to cost more money.

Once something is free or has been allowed to be free (taxes aside obvs) the slow bleed for more to be free, or for something to continue to be free, even though it maybe shouldn’t is a trend which is hard to stop.

Its not just as simple as mis management, under funding etc. It’s all of this in a melting pot

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

In short, the NHS was not built for what it does.

It tries it’s best to do absolutely everything free of charge, which is hard with a rising population and technological/medical advances, which have to cost more money.

Once something is free or has been allowed to be free (taxes aside obvs) the slow bleed for more to be free, or for something to continue to be free, even though it maybe shouldn’t is a trend which is hard to stop.

Its not just as simple as mis management, under funding etc. It’s all of this in a melting pot

The NHS hasn't been a workable model since the mid 1960s I'd say. When it was introduced we had virtually full employment and people generally died in their 70s and 80s. They also died of 'natural causes' which was acceptable. Today, we have a population that require ever more medical treatment, much of it for self inflicted problems. We have people on drug treatments that cost hundreds of thousands and a population that routinely live into the high 90s with huge medical support that can go on and on, year after year. We are continually striving to find cures for everything nature throws at us and we should all be very grateful for that, but the NHS in it current guise can't bear the brunt of those expectations.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Japhet said:

The NHS hasn't been a workable model since the mid 1960s I'd say. When it was introduced we had virtually full employment and people generally died in their 70s and 80s. They also died of 'natural causes' which was acceptable. Today, we have a population that require ever more medical treatment, much of it for self inflicted problems. We have people on drug treatments that cost hundreds of thousands and a population that routinely live into the high 90s with huge medical support that can go on and on, year after year. We are continually striving to find cures for everything nature throws at us and we should all be very grateful for that, but the NHS in it current guise can't bear the brunt of those expectations.

Exactly correct.

I am on no government’s side here, but I don’t think any would be able to keep pace with this and all the other things in the country.

Even if there was a previous government that ‘had’ spent ‘appropriately’ we would still be vastly under resourced for what we are facing now.

All we can ask is that as much is done as possible for it and society, and it seems that way currently - there is no doubt that we and our future generations will be footing the bill, but it’s what we have to do to succeed.

It took europe 200 years to recover after the plague ripped through, who knows depending on how destructive C-19 not just to loss of life but to infrastructure, livelihoods etc.

One thing I will say though is, people are remembering what it is like to be kind again

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

One thing I will say though is, people are remembering what it is like to be kind again

Yes here’s my mate buying stuff for all the neighbours to make sure they don’t go without 

23B7FF28-4B52-4477-9652-F6F731118569.jpeg

• Haha 1