Why become a member? ×

Any MM Bongo fans/ fanatics out there?

p3us

I can say that I am so hooked by this MM modell, that everything about me playing the bass gravitates towards the two Bongos I earn. I played and earned grat basses and (in all honesty) better basses in terms of feel and craftmanship, but... you know, the bongo has a spell on me. I was curious if ther's anyone who like these instruments as much as I apparently do. Let's start a chat. Thanks!IMG_1184.thumb.jpeg.b32e9dc8ff8cc991171c0bd022e20cc3.jpegIMG_0227.thumb.JPG.2cc0d079ef090dfde163998f3fb09981.JPG

• Like 5

I've got a pair - 5-string HH, fretted and fretless. Love them. What a huge, unmistakeable sound. Even if they look a bit like a bog seat. :D

The (older) fretted one has had some neck issues over the years though. I had it heat-treated and it seems OK now, I just hope it stays that way. The newer fretless has all the new aluminium hardware and is far lighter than the old fretted one, but still has the same massive tone. 

44644101_2212836175413562_14395411196165

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

I do love the basic design of these - does that bottom horn dig into your leg when seated? What’s the headstock balance like?

I find it's ok if you move your other leg over a little. I love mine - has the piezo as well which has another tonal flavour. They do a fuschia sparkle colour on these currently which is so outrageous it complements the shape really well - this is mine - lava pearl 😀

image.thumb.jpeg.b9ef7c58f51022df782249027118a72c.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Russ said:

I've got a pair - 5-string HH, fretted and fretless. Love them. What a huge, unmistakeable sound. Even if they look a bit like a bog seat. :D

The (older) fretted one has had some neck issues over the years though. I had it heat-treated and it seems OK now, I just hope it stays that way. The newer fretless has all the new aluminium hardware and is far lighter than the old fretted one, but still has the same massive tone. 

44644101_2212836175413562_14395411196165

Is that barelo purple flip colour? Even rarer as Fretless. 

• Like 1

My response is very much a, 'Well, I had...'

I had a desert gold(?)/orange one, a 5HH and the playability was spectacular.  I loved it, there was nothing wrong about any of it (except, well read on...), but sold it on as I had Thunderbirds incoming. 

My only moan, was that the onboard preamp was a bit hot; I'd start out with everything flattish, just allowing the amp to shape the tone, but as you do, you tweak up and up, so by the end of the session everything was full on and it sounded fairly horrific.  I did make enquiries here to ascertain whether I could run things passive...I'd have been happy leaving the preamp in the cavity, but just running with two volumes.  I moved it on before I made any changes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2020 at 15:23, NancyJohnson said:

My response is very much a, 'Well, I had...'

I had a desert gold(?)/orange one, a 5HH and the playability was spectacular.  I loved it, there was nothing wrong about any of it (except, well read on...), but sold it on as I had Thunderbirds incoming. 

My only moan, was that the onboard preamp was a bit hot; I'd start out with everything flattish, just allowing the amp to shape the tone, but as you do, you tweak up and up, so by the end of the session everything was full on and it sounded fairly horrific.  I did make enquiries here to ascertain whether I could run things passive...I'd have been happy leaving the preamp in the cavity, but just running with two volumes.  I moved it on before I made any changes.

That's a good point! The preamp is extremely hot. Unusual hot for the major part of the preamps you can find. That can be a weak point, I used it for the most of the times flat. The bass control is impossible to crank it up more than half way and the hights become pungent when turned all the way up. True! From this perspectiv there is no better preamps than John East (but we open another hot topic by saying that, i'm afraid) 😊

Edited by p3us

• 2 weeks later...