Why become a member? ×

Arrrg!

Tvrtastic

Putting together a bitsa P bass, using old Left over upgrade parts and a new GuitarBuild body. 

But while tacking on the bridge to make sure it all lined up I slipped and marked the body. 

GuitarBuild bodies are Pre sanded with 320 grit and as I was going to spray it with black nitro I did not plan to prep the body any more. 

As this mark is small, shall I ignore, although I get that black shows EVERY blemish? 

Or shall I fill and sand, although this could show more than just this tiny mark? 

EA193831-2338-4AB0-9987-79AB8F4C7103.png

Edited by Tvrtastic
Spelling

8 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Could you pop some filler stuff in and gently scrape it flat with a razor?  Ps - I am a bodger.

Bodge?  Yes, tbh that is below even my low standards. 😉 

I can see me buying 200ml super fine filler to use 0.0001ml to fill a pin prick. Then I’ll use my 2000grit paper to sand away 99% of the 0.0001ml of filler.  And probably make it worse than the ordinal mark! 

Drop a teeny drop of water off a pin or nail tip into the dint. Get a piece of cloth and wet it in a small area.  Put the dampened area over the dint.  Apply the tip of a hot iron to where the dint is.  Don't hold it there more than a few seconds - you don't want to scorch the wood.  Repeat a few times. 

The wood that's been crushed will expand to try to return the its original form and, with luck, completely refill the dint back to its original level

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Drop a teeny drop of water off a pin or nail tip into the dint. Get a piece of cloth and wet it in a small area.  Put the dampened area over the dint.  Apply the tip of a hot iron to where the dint is.  Don't hold it there more than a few seconds - you don't want to scorch the wood.  Repeat a few times. 

The wood that's been crushed will expand to try to return the its original form and, with luck, completely refill the dint back to its original level

Awesome. Great advice, I’ll give it a go! 

• Like 1