Why become a member? ×

Yosemite pickups

Trueno

What's the deal with Yosemite pickups? Can't find much in the way of reviews other than Fender-generated "seismic" Ps and "growly" Js... yeh! They all do that don't they.

I'm not thinking about buying any (unless they prove to be the saviour of mankind) but I've been doing a lot of mooching around replacement pickups... bought some EMG passive Geezers for my back-up bass... with which I am well pleased.

I assume they are now the go-to for MIA Fenders, so have to please players with a wide variety of styles... so are they hugely versatile or boring jack-of-all-trades?

I'm just curious. Has anyone got a new Fender with these fitted? My main bass is a MIM Mustang... anyone tried the MIA Mustang with the Yosemites fitted? I now have a KiOgon loom and Scaller bridge on mine and the MIM stock pups sound amazing.

I've been wondering about fitting a set of these to my P-Lyte so interested to hear opinions too. Seem well priced compared to other brands as well.

Interestingly the set of PJ pickups from Andertons appear £14.01cheaper than their P only set?!!

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-yosemite-p-j-pickup-set-0992281000?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu-bFrMK66AIVAbTtCh35xwOpEAQYAyABEgJqMfD_BwE

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-yosemite-p-bass-pickup-0992284000?tmsb=cgdi5vh&tmsl=ec608940-7cd8-4edb-b9de-cf25587caa8e&tmty=w&tmcv=63&tmcs=cnj1aqn

3 hours ago, casapete said:

I've been wondering about fitting a set of these to my P-Lyte so interested to hear opinions too. Seem well priced compared to other brands as well.

I am amazed you are considering swapping out the pickups in a P-Lyte, if it is an early one (so with the P-J pickup configuration) like mine it is the best sounding bass I have got, I haven't even done the resistor fix that cures the short battery life as I wouldn't do anything that changed the sound of it at all!

1 hour ago, Roger2611 said:

I am amazed you are considering swapping out the pickups in a P-Lyte, if it is an early one (so with the P-J pickup configuration) like mine it is the best sounding bass I have got, I haven't even done the resistor fix that cures the short battery life as I wouldn't do anything that changed the sound of it at all!

I have 3 P-Lytes Roger, and while I think they sound pretty good I’ve always fancied trying one out with some different pickups and wired passively, more out of curiosity than anything else! All of mine are the Lyte standard model i.e. P-J configuration and active preamp, which was the same throughout the life of this model. All of mine are the later versions with chrome hardware which I prefer. Had the battery issue fixed on a couple and it didn’t alter the sound at all but now means a Duracell lasts a year instead of a month or two! 

The one with the larger bridge pickup was the Lyte Deluxe model, which featured a mahogany body, gold hardware, string through body arrangement and 3 band EQ. This wasn’t in production for very long , towards the end of the model’s run. I did have one but couldn’t gel with it for some reason. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

I fitted a p to an Ibanez talman I had.

Huge improvement on the stock.

really nice tone and character, medium output.

very versatile, works well with pedals to shape the tone but has a lovely tone all on its own.

as mentioned before, you can often find a pj set cheaper than a p!

i flogged the jazz pickup for £30.

• Like 1

The go to pickups for american pro fenders is the 'V-Mod' series and I would personally recommend their Jazz pups. Good even tone, not to dark, not too bright and not lacking in mids, a bit like Goldilocks porridge IMO. I found the jazz pups on my old noughties american standard a little too bright and polite for my liking. All subjective opinion of course.

The price for a PJ set is appealing, but I wonder if it's better to go the whole hog... I keep eyeing up Nordstrands at Bass Direct. But... currently I think I may be better saving the money and swapping my lightweight combo for an even more lightweight rig... assuming we all get gigging again. Save my arthritic joints a bit.

1 hour ago, Trueno said:

The price for a PJ set is appealing, but I wonder if it's better to go the whole hog... I keep eyeing up Nordstrands at Bass Direct. But... currently I think I may be better saving the money and swapping my lightweight combo for an even more lightweight rig... assuming we all get gigging again. Save my arthritic joints a bit.

The Nords are very good, but if you want the best P pickup, it's the Fender custom shop 62 imho, which cost less than the Nords. 😀

• Like 1