Why become a member? ×

How do I prevent RSI injury flare up

Jimbogubson

Hi folks,

I’ve recently been suffering mild pain up the back of my right arm and weakness in the fingers which I’m assuming is an RSI which is obviously not an ideal situation when playing bass. This started a month or so ago after doing a 3 hour gig. I’m also in the building trade so manual work is compounding the problem.

Do others  out there use any stretching exercises before playing to avoid this  or any useful sites that you can recommend.

cheers in advance!

Hi Jimbogubson

I considered exactly the same complaint quite recently, I think it's an old injury to my right wrist (no sniggering!) from picking up a motorbike that had been knocked over and ignoring it for years. Now that I drive a desk for a living, using a computer mouse so much is giving me hell. 

I looked at these gyroscopic ball devices, but didn't try one when it eased off a bit. 

One thing I can say is Ibuprofen is not the answer

https://powerballs.com/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rubis said:

Hi Jimbogubson

I considered exactly the same complaint quite recently, I think it's an old injury to my right wrist (no sniggering!) from picking up a motorbike that had been knocked over and ignoring it for years. Now that I drive a desk for a living, using a computer mouse so much is giving me hell. 

I looked at these gyroscopic ball devices, but didn't try one when it eased off a bit. 

One thing I can say is Ibuprofen is not the answer

https://powerballs.com/

They look interesting! 
Funny you say about the ibuprofen. I’ve been taking a couple before gigs and using gel too. 

Mmmmn, the problem I had, and I'm sure I'm not alone, is that Ibuprofen is very good at masking pain, but you aren't getting the cause treated, to the point where I needed surgery to fix my right shoulder, and I still get pain in my wrist. 

I may well get one of those gyro-ball thingy's but I was slightly put off by the mixed reviews they seem to get, however that may have been down to cheap versions flogged online. 

Good luck with your health anyway, mate, it can be quite a downer when it affects your enjoyment of the important things in life!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jimbogubson said:

Hi folks,

I’ve recently been suffering mild pain up the back of my right arm and weakness in the fingers which I’m assuming is an RSI which is obviously not an ideal situation when playing bass. This started a month or so ago after doing a 3 hour gig. I’m also in the building trade so manual work is compounding the problem.

Do others  out there use any stretching exercises before playing to avoid this  or any useful sites that you can recommend.

cheers in advance!

That sounds like it could possibly be nerve damage especially if the fingers are weaker than usual. I have similar symptoms in my left wrist caused by years of cycling. I don't do any stretching exercises before playing but what works for me is a neoprene wrist strap, this is the one I use. But if it is a damaged nerve it's worth getting it checked out by your GP, although that could take a while at present. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the input folks.

was thinking I may have to go down the physio route.

i had some about 10 years ago for tennis elbow which really helped. What stopped that dead in its tracks though was a packet of voltarol tablets I found in the cupboard which I self prescribed. Doctors are very reluctant to give that out these days.  Wonderful stuff though!

@Jimbogubson : When you are able to, I would advise you to get it checked out. A focused series of physio sessions would be my recommendation having first had an overall physical. Timing at the moment is not ideal though. Good luck.

(p.s. i'm a retired occupational health physician)

• Thanks 1

See a physio; they will hand out some stretch exercises and strict instructions not to overdo it but not to stop playing either.

Worked for me.

BTW, physios often say to take Ibuprofen as part of the treatment; reduces pain and swelling and makes the exercises easier to do.  Though also said to reduce your immune response so that the corona virus will hurt more when you (inevitably) catch it!  Cold packs and hot packs also good and without side effects.