Why become a member? ×

Wise words from Victor Wooten

dave_bass5

Loved it up until the point where he compared Alan Holdsworth to BB King and then I was like...hmmm.

Steve Vai talks about Alan Holdsworth as the only player he couldn't get a fix on musically.  The ONLY one.  So that makes him a guitarist's guitarist I guess in Victor Wooten's context.  It doesn't detract from the point Victor was making but I would chosen someone who wasn't respected and revered.  Yngwie for example.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Loved it up until the point where he compared Alan Holdsworth to BB King and then I was like...hmmm.

Steve Vai talks about Alan Holdsworth as the only player he couldn't get a fix on musically.  The ONLY one.  So that makes him a guitarist's guitarist I guess in Victor Wooten's context.  It doesn't detract from the point Victor was making but I would chosen someone who wasn't respected and revered.  Yngwie for example.

I agree about the BB king bit. I also thought ‘hmmmm’. Not a fair comparison, and although I understood the point, I didn’t think it was put as well as it could have been.

To be fair though, off the top of my head i cant name one track Alan Holdworth plays on (although i know I’m aware of them). I know the name, but never really been interested in him. 

Edited by dave_bass5

14 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I agree about the BB king bit. I also thought ‘hmmmm’. Not a fair comparison, and although I understood the point, I didn’t think it was put as well as it could have been.

To be fair though, off the top of my head i cant name one track Alan Holdworth plays on (although i know I’m aware of them). I know the name, but never really been interested in him. 

Yeah, the problem is he's basing musicality on popularity  being an anathema to proficiency.  It's a polarising position which I'm pretty confident isn't what Victor intended given his rep as a teacher.  In any case a simple response to the argument would be for Alan Holdsworth to play 'Good Times' or 'Papa's Got A Brand New Bag'.  Debate over.  But...oh, he's dead.

• Like 1

AH is very marmite, i must admit.

But having seem him live  ( small 3 piece jazz outfit - git, drums, DB in a small jazz club )  and  i have a solo album,  Velvet Darkness, and his work with Gong  -  Gazeuse !  especially, i love his work.

3 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Yeah but the problem is he's basing musicality on popularity vs proficiency.  A simple response to that would be for Alan Holdsworth to play 'Good Times' or 'Papa's Got A Brand New Bag'.  Debate over.  But...oh, he's dead.

Yeah i get that. BB is a house hold, celeb name, so it’s obvious people will be familiar with his work. Not knocking BB but ts not a fair compassion. Then again, BB does what he does and its got him where he is.

To be fair, i don’t really care Victor Wooten’s style or playing either. 

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, No. 8 Wire said:

Look, I love Victor, but this really is the pot calling the kettle carbonised. 

Next up a long lost Jaco interview where he tells all bassists to just play the root notes...

True, but he has a point. At least for me. Give me someone keeping a tight groove going anytime over all that show off stuff that seems to only be there to prove a point.

They can all do it of course, but its knowing when to do it, and when not to do the ‘look how many notes I can play slightly out of time with the song using moire notes than my bass actuator has’ bass lines.

That noise Jaco made with his bass is one of the most annoying bass tones ive ever heard. Cant listen to him for more than....just cant listen to him at all actually. 

Obviously just my opinion of course. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

True, but he has a point. At least for me. Give me someone keeping a tight groove going anytime over all that show off stuff that seems to only be there to prove a point.

They can all do it of course, but its knowing when to do it, and when not to do the ‘look how many notes I can play slightly out of time with the song using moire notes than my bass actuator has’ bass lines.

That noise Jaco made with his bass is one of the most annoying bass tones ive ever heard. Cant listen to him for more than....just cant listen to him at all actually. 

Oh yeah, I agree with the point he makes completely, just a bit strange coming from him!

Jaco is certainly marmite.  I think you might be right about the tone, the chorusy nasal thing.  I seem to really enjoy his work played by other people!

• Like 1

There is already another thread on this very video. 

AH is very much an acquired taste - I can’t say I could take large doses, especially some of his solo work. I respect him however for being unique, for always wanting to choose his own path and never compromising - even when it cost him personally and financially. 
Victor’s advice is of course sound - but as I said on the other thread, it’s a bit amusing from someone who played on the Sinister Minister 😂

• Like 1