Why become a member? ×

Best headstock shape (except fender)?

Alberto Rigoni

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

This in my book is a classic design small and ergonomic. The original adjustable bridge too is a simple and good design, I love the way the tuners told backwards on two planes too.

_DSF8554.thumb.JPG.cd7751d004a9efa574196e61ebf68e4f.JPG_DSF8555.thumb.JPG.54be040618debeeb4b1754e0ed7f935b.JPG

All I see is a stubby Alien's head with 4 googly eyes and 4 flappy ears! lol!

I cannot be doing with headstocks which have been badly designed - and by that I mean from an engineering POV: the strings shouldn't veer off sideways at the nut, and they shouldn't need afterthought string tensioners because they don't have enough 'downward' force into the nut to stop them popping out. Sadly, an awful lot of the ones in this thread fail at that very basic first hurdle, even the eye-wateringly expensive ones...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

I cannot be doing with headstocks which have been badly designed - and by that I mean from an engineering POV: the strings shouldn't veer off sideways at the nut, and they shouldn't need afterthought string tensioners because they don't have enough 'downward' force into the nut to stop them popping out. Sadly, an awful lot of the ones in this thread fail at that very basic first hurdle, even the eye-wateringly expensive ones...

I know what you mean but if for example you're using a brass or well made, robust nut then the string exiting at a sideways angle has no ill effect any more than the string leaving at a downward angle which people regard as beneficial. Aesthetics aside, of course. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 01/04/2020 at 20:13, baa said:

I'm a sucker for 2+2.

My Vantages have a sleek shape that really appeals to me. As do old Arias and Matsumoku-built instruments.

20200401_210906.jpg

Agreed. Given the choice I'd always take 2+2 or 3+2 over 4 inline or 4+1. 3+1 is OKish.

• Like 3

On 26/03/2020 at 16:01, Sibob said:

My three faves in no particular order:

IMG_0598.thumb.JPG.b80d5492ea7de3dc46fb8064aceda19d.JPG

IMG_0599.thumb.JPG.ecd0cf6004957ad8d146e505a3239687.JPG

IMG_0600.thumb.JPG.9522991d01a78b824b824cbd34cab510.JPG

Si

I’ve always liked the Lakland rosewood continuation bit - not sure what else to call it - it looks like the bass is wearing a polo neck. Not a fan of the body shapes but the H/S and logo are cool

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

I never liked the four string headstock from Wal, but one of my absolute favourites is the five string version:

1007404577_walhead2.thumb.jpg.6d0d786dbf51e8307f896804696e95f6.jpg

My outright favourite though is the Rickenbacker - very not a Fender, but a classic.  With an honourable mention for the Thunderbird

Was going to write exactly the same thing. The 4 string headstock is ming imho.

11 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I notice the complete absence of Warwick headstocks. While beautiful they definitely ain't, some of the headstocks shown in this thread are far more hideous. (Yuk!)

My favourite is this one - still a headstock, strictly speaking, rather than a scroll. Elegant and ergonomic. :)

Warwick. Ah yes. Gumby.

16 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I notice the complete absence of Warwick headstocks. While beautiful they definitely ain't, some of the headstocks shown in this thread are far more hideous. (Yuk!)

My favourite is this one - still a headstock, strictly speaking, rather than a scroll. Elegant and ergonomic. :)

985106869_NSNXT5.thumb.jpg.45dc28189d943320977dedb844da09d1.jpg

I really like that - what does the whole bass look like please?

• Like 1