Why become a member? ×

Hello Everyone!

Blues Rock Dawn

Just joined this forum and wanted to say 'hello' to everyone! I'm a late starter at this game - always wanted to learn bass but never got around to it until now! At the moment I have a short scale Harley Benton (sometimes you think you might like to learn something then discover it's not for you - didn't want to spend too much to begin with), but I like the Sire Version 2 Marcus Miller P7 with its precision body and thinner jazz style neck. I am learning with a pick at the moment, but think now after a few lessons that I'd like to learn to play without the pick too. 

• Like 5

Welcome Dawn.

Harley Benton has a decent rep around here.  A lot of members have upgraded the hardware on theirs and got pleasing results.  From what you say, GAS has already got a hold on you.

Buckle-up for the ride.  You've just taken a turning onto the Gear Addiction Syndrome highway.

• Haha 1

Hiya Dawn :crigon_04:

3 hours ago, Blues Rock Dawn said:

- didn't want to spend too much to begin with), but I like the Sire Version 2 Marcus Miller P7 with its precision body and thinner jazz style neck.

This ⬆️ is how the GAS begins!

:)

• Haha 1

Hi Dawn and welcome. 

There aren’t many positives about the current situation but having some extra time to practice is one of them. 

Except that you’ve just blown that by joining this site! :facepalm:

Time that you could have spent practising will now be spent browsing the For Sale section.

Well, that’s what happened to me, anyway....

😁

• Haha 1

Welcome Dawn lot's of stuff on youtube for learning and plenty of great advice on site....some recommended viewing Talking Bass, Scott's Bass Academy, Ariane Cap, Jamie Lewis, Daric Bennett, Greg Hager all offer beginner, intermediate to advanced lessons covering all aspects, above all enjoy the journey best of luck.

Edited by thebigyin
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

As Loz says, nice to see another female on here. No disrespect to the lovely gents here, but it's nice to have a better yin-yang balance so to speak!

I was a late starter too (aged 53!!). It was the best thing I ever did. Nine years on and I was in 2 bands, depping in another one and actually getting paid for it now and again. Lockdown has changed all that. But as others have said, if you use this time to develop your skills, you'll emerge ready to fly!!

• Like 1

Thank you very much Seashell! I'd just turned 55 🙂

I'm developing some lovely callouses now, and I'm at numb fingertips stage, but I love learning bass so much. 

May I ask, are you also a mermaid (scuba diver)? Just wondered because of your Basschat name. Also, what music genres/bass make you favour. Bass has made me realise that my musical tastes go beyond blues rock - I have been dabbling with bits and bobs by David Bowie, Michael Jackson, the Rolling Stones (of course), Sting, Fleetwood Mac, and my teacher has got me doing the Rock School series, and I have learnt to keep up with Green Onions (needs refinement though). 

I would like to be in a group some day too. So many people just seem to get the proverbial carpet slippers out once they hit 50, but I believe age is no limit, and with determination people can find a way to do most anything. 

Good to chat, 

Take care of you and yours, 

Dawn x

• Like 2

Hi Dawn. No, my forum name is just a riff on my real name, which is Shelley. 🙂

My first love is rock and blues, but when I started learning bass my teacher helped me see the merits of many other genres. I'll never be a disco lover, but I do like a bit of soul, funk and Reggae now and again. And jazz (although I've never played that in public).

Love the Rolling Stones btw, and one of the bands I regularly dep with is a Rolling Stones covers band. Living the dream!!

You're right, age is no limit!!