Why become a member? ×

Best looking P bass?

Alberto Rigoni

1 minute ago, bassbiscuits said:

This one sadly isn’t mine - it’s from Andy Baxter’s website. But I think this late 1950s three tone sunburst, good scratchplate and maple next combination is just utterly gorgeous. 

Looks great 🧐

Edit - aha! Yers. Very lovely.

Edited by AndyTravis

1 minute ago, bassbiscuits said:

This one sadly isn’t mine - it’s from Andy Baxter’s website. But I think this late 1950s three tone sunburst, good scratchplate and maple next combination is just utterly gorgeous. 

7BDDE35B-57D7-4210-BB18-2D0DEE8678C4.jpeg

I suppose you could get close with a Mexican Standard and a gold anodised? The Mexican classic 50’s (only 2tsb) often crop up at about the £500-£600 mark

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

I suppose you could get close with a Mexican Standard and a gold anodised? The Mexican classic 50’s (only 2tsb) often crop up at about the £500-£600 mark

Sure thing. I think there’s just something about that rich old sunburst and knowing it’s a 60-odd year old bass that makes me swoon a bit!

Just now, bassbiscuits said:

Sure thing. I think there’s just something about that rich old sunburst and knowing it’s a 60-odd year old bass that makes me swoon a bit!

True. I had a chance to buy a 60’s p a good few years ago. It smelt like a dirty old shed. And that put me off...don’t know if I regret it or not. 

I do love that 57/58 pbass look though.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

True. I had a chance to buy a 60’s p a good few years ago. It smelt like a dirty old shed. And that put me off...don’t know if I regret it or not. 

I do love that 57/58 pbass look though.

Ha ha I know what you mean. I was handed a white/tort 1960s P to try reverentially a few years ago and it was pretty grim and manky really. I didn’t like to say anything as I was supposed to be dead impressed. 

Love a genuinely beaten-up sunburst/rosewood P.   First one is a YOB late 60s I spotted on the ‘Bay but couldn’t afford, second is the great Martyn Casey’s of the Bad Seeds which is an early 60s I believe.

07-B6287-B-D66-C-4672-9510-A64-BBA64-D3-

B8-C9-B15-D-2-B4-B-465-F-B209-1-D94-AFE5

Edited by MattM
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Love a genuinely beaten-up sunburst/rosewood P.

With you there.  When I bough my '66 I deliberately sought a bass that had been played not left in a cupboard.

_MG_0027.thumb.JPG.b3c90ba8bebd45050e41da05880b96e8.JPG

• Like 3

On 25/03/2020 at 20:46, sykilz said:

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I saw one of these in the flesh at PMT and was blown away by it, usually I like blues/blacks/ white basses, so this took me by surprise....0DFAEA1D-9AEB-41FA-A2B0-3D4E5D2FC4C4.thumb.jpeg.0e3bcb66a206506cbe169061663a0906.jpeg

Is that the new Vintera 50's Precision? I'm strongly considering one of these for flatwounds and a plectrum. However, I also think I would like a two-pickup configuration, and right now the Sandberg-inspired (heh) Harley Benton Enhanced looks very good to me in the Natural finish:

13580446_800.jpg

Edited by bnt