Why become a member? ×

N.A.D. Genzler 350 BA combo

bassmayhem

Today I got my tiny, tiny, tiny Genzler combo delivered. 
I just had to put it on top of my Genzler BA 12-3 Slant cabs, but it won't sit there. Oh no!
My plan is to use it with my upright bass (and electric for small gigs) instead of using one amp and a two channel preamp for electric and upright. One rig for electric and one for upright, no fuss...

Anyway, it is kind of cute...
49698426712_b06b7fbeb1_o.jpg

It is really small...
49697587853_78d2d51a0a_o.jpg

😋😋😋

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I love the design of those cabs but have yet to hear them. It'll be a while before you get to gig the new one but in the meantime a review would be good.

Well, I haven't tried it live yet, but my livingroom is big and the wife is forgiving... ;)
I mean, I have my (smaller) rig parked here, my 10+ basses on the wall, the upright on a stand; she has a six foot grand piano in the middle of the room, and still we have room for a dining table, six book shelves and a twelve by nine feet sofa in front of the TV. And a fire place. The room is like a smaller jazz club. ;)

I tried the combo with my upright equipped with a Realist Lifeline, and the volume I got out was more than adequate, with a tone to my liking. I was a bit sceptic to the 1 Mohm input, but it worked well. I have some preamps I can use to beef up the signal from the piezo, but seriously, I think I won't be needing them. The eq in the 350 had enough sculpting possibilities to make me happy. 

Conclusion: on a smaller stage, like a jazz club the amp is more than enough and sounds as good as you and your instrument sound and play. For electric bass, the amp does the job well; I tried it with my MM Bongo VI, and it sounded good. Still, PA support is needed if you play with "the standard average guitard" and a hard hitting drummer, but for playing with musicians with good judgement I believe this little baby will stand out well...

Think about this for a while...
We tend to play with higher volume in our rehearsal rooms than we are allowed to use on stage. I use my Fender Super Bassman + Bassman 810 Neo at rehearsal, but will use my smaller "wedge rigs" at gigs...

It's good to talk about something other than you know what :)

I don't play upright and I haven't had cause to mic one up for 40years now but I'd think these would be ideal, basically a neutral sounding cab. I would so like to get my hands on them and see what Genzler have done.

Either you have huge hands or those are really tiny cabs :)

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

...Either you have huge hands or those are really tiny cabs :)

Well, the mobile phone did its best to give me a "bigfoot thumb". ;)
My hand covers the width of the amp anyway. Both hands cover the top of the amp.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I promised a review...

Now I've used my little Genzler combo on rehearsal. It looked a bit wimpy next to my Super Bassman rig, but it played surprisingly strong and really neat. Even the guitarist appreciated it. Of course less bottom, but it did the job and more. I used the Bongo VI, so the combo had to eat a little low frequencies.

We all know that we play loud in rehearsal rooms - louder than on stage. This little combo will definitely be sufficient - and sound good - as stand-alone at club gigs.

Edited by bassmayhem

• 4 months later...

I promised a review after gig...

We had a trio garden gig without PA support: worked fine, fine, fine! The rig is as loud as it is small, and sounds really, really good. With a tad of cut in the lowest register you can play louder than you would expect, and still the tone is fine. A hit! :)