Why become a member? ×

Yew-topped SG-style Guitar * Finished Pics!

Andyjr1515

As mentioned above, I have to take a touch more off the neck haunches and I need to get the neck pickup back to Matt to swop the internal wires round, but externally this is done. :)

So forgive the self-indulgence, but here it is:

JW2rcweh.jpg 

gvjOreHh.jpg

wnmXlXMh.jpg

k5r0lruh.jpg

viZC9Drh.jpg

mFQltQvh.jpg

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 11

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I hope you’ll post this on GC too, or at least a link to it.

Ooooohhhhhhhh!   How embarrassing is that...clean forgot about GC!!

I shall go down to the pond and stand on my head in the middle of it for an hour in penance!  I'll post the pics and link this afternoon... :$

• Like 1

Thanks again, folks.

And now we are onto the final knockings. :)

Firstly, suitably masked and gloved (which used to be the tip to the police to stop and search...how times have changed!) I popped the pickup across to Matt for him to reverse the phasing, which he did while I waited.
I took the guitar along, fully strung up and watched from the regulation 2m while he tried out the neck profile.  I noticed how much he uses the thumb wraparound - even at the very top frets.

He was happy with the feel but this morning - with both pickups now in phase and sounding good, I played it for real, also trying more thumb wraparound.  My conclusion was that there is still too much bulk either side of the centre line, and that the spine thickness could lose a mm also.  So, having checked with Matt that he would be OK with it, I set about the profile one more time, concentrating on playability in the style Matt prefers.  And - boy what a difference!  

I also took more away from the bass side of the heel:
IpLbyrpl.jpg

I'm sure his guitar teacher won't thank me for it, but he should now be able to thumb wrap all the way up the fretboard until the body stops him ;) 

So now the final danish oil slurry sanding has been started and the next three days will see the final slurry and buff finish completed.  Two final jobs while that's all going on - final set up and fixing the strap buttons.

So I reckon Wed / Thur should see it ready to hand over :) 

• Like 1

The last couple of days have been about the final knockings - final shaping and refinishing of the neck, set-up and strap buttons

I had built a couple of tweaks to help the balance but the main one - fitting Axesrus' wonderful lightweight aluminium tuners - was dashed because of (presumably Covid-related) non-availability.  Instead, I have fitted some really, really nice open gear Hipshots - but, honestly, they are quite a bit heavier than the Axesrus ones.  

But when Matt tried it out. I watched how he played and we discussed that yes - he does want to get to that 24th fret..and with his thumb wrapped round and so the back button wanted to be in the 'traditional' place if at all possible.

But what I do (with all of my builds) is first fit the back button, then pop a slippy strap on it, over my shoulder and, holding the strap in various positions while supporting the guitar, gauge where the balance was going to be.  And it looked like we could get there.  So on went the back button (and nowhere near the 'goldilocks' zone of 12th -13th fret I always recommend!):
r2o0F11l.jpg

...and then popped a slippy strap on and hands off...
kyVIEKpl.jpg
A5fkH6Zl.jpg

MfEQ4Jtl.jpg

So, whatever position Matt likes to play, it should be absolutely fine

Final bit of polishing up tomorrow and it's ready to go to Matt.  So one last glance before it goes into the gig bag:

JEWGGaBl.jpg

Yup - that'll do :)

Thank you all again for your kind words and encouragement along the way - always immensely appreciated :)

• Like 15