Why become a member? ×

Boiling strings

Kevin Dean

Once again:

- dishwasher (corrected)

- ultrasonic cleaner

- a kettle (that old one, as @hooky_lowdown just said)

- try different liquids that may help, like alcohol based stuff (may be hard to find these days), and good old Fairy

Dry well, use a day or two and then go to a shop to buy a new set.

Edited by itu
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, itu said:

Once again:

- washing machine

- ultrasonic cleaner

- a kettle (that old one, as @hooky_lowdown just said)

- try different liquids that may help, like alcohol based stuff (may be hard to find these days), and good old Fairy

Dry well, use a day or two and then go to a shop to buy a new set.

Go to a shop ?     that's why i'm doing it & don't want to add to the problems the post office is having .

IME the benefits of boiling strings is outweighed by the additional stress you put them under by taking them off the bass and putting them back on.

You'll get a week or so before they are back to sounding as crap as they did before you boiled them, and each boiling cycle increases the chances of a string breaking.

Personally unless your strings are completely and utterly dead in which case boiling is going to be of little use, I'd stick with them until you are happy to order some new ones.

• Like 3

If the strings are just dirty rather than old/knackered/dead, I've found that a really useful and easy method of cleaning is the use of micellar cleansing wipes.  These are available at pretty much any pharmacy/cosmetics store or supermarket.  I use the Simple brand as they're not perfumed in any way.  I even leave the strings on the bass.   De-tension a little then a few slow, firm wipes up and down each string (you may wish to protect the fretboard with something, though the wipes aren't wet, more damp).  Lovely bright and clean strings in a couple of minutes.  I also use surgical spirit (strings off the bass!) if strings are really dirty.  Again, a simple and effective fix, though surgical spirit is in very short supply at the moment

1 hour ago, Kevin Dean said:

I work out all my stuff on this ....I'll be thrown off of this site for this 

IMG_20200325_122254682.jpg

If that really is the fingerboard of your bass, then there is absolutely no point in trying to clean your strings if you don't clean all that muck off first.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If that really is the fingerboard of your bass, then there is absolutely no point in trying to clean your strings if you don't clean all that muck off first.

May as well sort the frets too while you're at it.....😆

• Like 1

On 25/03/2020 at 09:09, Kevin Dean said:

For the first time in flip knows ,I'm going to boil my acoustic bass strings ...any tips welcome .

I reckon they'll need boiling for a looong time.

I was thinking about it myself, but found a shop that had potatoes...

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/03/2020 at 11:52, Kevin Dean said:

Go to a shop ?     that's why i'm doing it & don't want to add to the problems the post office is having .

I think he is implying (and I agree) that the effort is not worth it. Too much hassle for a short lived result. Best just buy a fresh set.

edit: I just saw the fingerboard. Maybe buy a new neck while we're at it :D

Edited by mcnach

On 25/03/2020 at 13:12, nige1968 said:

Off topic, I know but.....As kids our means of earning money was as caddies at the local Golf course. I caddied for Harry H. Corbett at a Pro Am event - the Pro was Ewan Murray, now a commentator of the sport.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Kevin Dean said:

Strings now boiled & neck cleaned ,sounds great, 

...but will you still be saying this in a couple of days?

Never tried it myself but I'm led to believe that boiling strings is a short term measure only - just buy new strings and save yourself the derrière-ache.

I dont boil mine but I do something similar, rather than putting a pan on the boil and leaving it to boil I stick them in a tub in some boiling water for about 10 mins (give them 5 mins then put the kettle on again pour out the water and top up with the freshly boiled water and give another 5 mins) seems to brighten them back up and as it doesnt stress the strings as much as putting them in a pan of boiling water on a hob. That being said nothing beats a fresh set of strings, I love that new string sound.

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1