Why become a member? ×

Are we all using the wrong tuning?

pete.young

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='462278' date='Apr 14 2009, 05:00 PM']B-E-A-D is how i play my 4 string bass as standard too.

Its very cool and opens lots of interesting possibilities that the G doesn't.

Suits my playing well but i know it doesn't work for all... The relearning the neck was also not so hard..

G[/quote]
I'd be interested to know what possibilities open up by [i]not[/i] having the G? Do you mean by sacrificing the G for the B you can play low stuff without having a 5-string? It does all depend upon the music and the player. I for one would not want to play the 12 fret G on the G string at the 17th fret on the D-string, but then I'm greedy and have all the strings (plus another one on top)!

[quote name='XB26354' post='462291' date='Apr 14 2009, 05:12 PM']I'd be interested to know what possibilities open up by [i]not[/i] having the G? Do you mean by sacrificing the G for the B you can play low stuff without having a 5-string? It does all depend upon the music and the player. I for one would not want to play the 12 fret G on the G string at the 17th fret on the D-string, but then I'm greedy and have all the strings (plus another one on top)![/quote]

5 strings don't suit me well at all. I never got really comfortable with them, certainly no where as near as a 4 string.

It does depend on the music and the player which is why I said "Suits my playing well but i know it doesn't work for all..."

I am enjoying it alot at the moment.

G