Why become a member? ×

Double bass bib

Staggering on

I noticed that I was getting a few marks on Marilyn (my blonde beauty) from belts, jean rivets and other bits of clothing so I asked a friend who is a very creative seamstress if she could make a bib for the bass. After some searching on the net we decided that the bib that Christian McBride sometimes uses would be a good one to copy. Mine is made of two layers of black velveteen and was custom made to fit my bass snugly, the two ties hold it securely in place. So far I have been using it daily for a week or so and it hasn't moved or wrinkled at all and it does its job perfectly. I use it at home and band rehearsals  and may use it when we ever get back to playing gigs.☹️

Now if only I could find something that makes my playing sound like Christian McBride...😉

SAM_4857.jpg

SAM_4858.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

• Like 4

Very Smart 🙂

Several of my orchestra colleagues have bass capes - makes the basses look as though they are in dinner dress (like the players).

Personally I've never bothered as after 150 years mine looks like it's been re-finished with a wire brush and ronseal wood stain

Still, one of our orchestra number dropped her nice 5-string Paul Bryant the other week, whilst wrestling it into her car, and took a chunk out the edging.. quite upset, the first bruise is always the worst.   And my dad (retired pro 'cellilst) had his bow come loose inside his 'cello case which put some deep scratches in the front of his (crazily valuable) 250 year old 'cello - which having been refinished and cleaned at great expense had barely a mark on it; he's getting a "cello blanket" for his birthday to protect it in its case.

Would your 150 year old bass be the one I saw and photographed at the Double Bass Bash near Bicester in April 2018? That day sealed my fate as a bass player and within two months I bought the upright you see in the photo to go along with the Yamaha SLB 200 that I had been using and that is rarely played now that I have a "real" bass. 

21 minutes ago, neilp said:

That bib is a work of art! Don't let Meghan (my bass) see that.....

Thank you, I'll pass that comment on to the seamstress, she took on the job as an interesting challenge complete with making a pattern and a fabric prototype before actually sewing up the final version. 😊