Why become a member? ×

How can we continue to play during CV?

solo4652

I'm retired, and I live alone. The main band I play with has suspended all gigs and rehearsals. I'm staying at home whenever I possibly can, and I'm crawling the walls. And it's only Day 1 of the "You must stay at home" situation.

Other than jamming along to YouTube, what are other people doing to keep playing? What ways are there of playing/cooperating with other musicians without physically meeting them? I'm certain this has been discussed in the CV threads, but I can't face the prospect of trawling through 100+ pages. 

Oh, and by the way, I'm not especially IT oriented, so talk of MIDI and DAW and such like may leave me floundering. Sorry.

11 minutes ago, solo4652 said:

OK - Please pardon my ignorance, but how would I do that?

Use a DAW and an interface with your PC

Reaper is a free DAW and easy to use. Drummer does his bit and emails it to you. You open the file in Reaper, plug your bass into an interface and record your part as another track. You can either just record direct or you can use a software plugin to emulate an amplifier. When you have recorded your part You then email that to your guitarist etc etc

Each person adds their bit in turn. Many albums are recorded this way these days. Don't have to turn up to the studio anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Use a DAW and an interface with your PC

Reaper is a free DAW and easy to use. Drummer does his bit and emails it to you. You open the file in Reaper, plug your bass into an interface and record your part as another track. You can either just record direct or you can use a software plugin to emulate an amplifier. When you have recorded your part You then email that to your guitarist etc etc

Each person adds their bit in turn. Many albums are recorded this way these days. Don't have to turn up to the studio anymore.

Reaper isn’t free, you have a free trial, they expect you to pay for it if you like it. It’s very cheap too. 
😁

I've mentioned it on another thread. I discovered a tool in Reaper called Ninjam. It allows you to play and record with others remotely. Instead of trying to remove any latency, it actually adds it.

There's something about it here:

https://www.freewebs.com/arxeia/Ninjam_User_Guide.pdf

Edited by ambient

21 hours ago, solo4652 said:

I'm retired, and I live alone. The main band I play with has suspended all gigs and rehearsals. I'm staying at home whenever I possibly can, and I'm crawling the walls. And it's only Day 1 of the "You must stay at home" situation.

Other than jamming along to YouTube, what are other people doing to keep playing? What ways are there of playing/cooperating with other musicians without physically meeting them? I'm certain this has been discussed in the CV threads, but I can't face the prospect of trawling through 100+ pages. 

Oh, and by the way, I'm not especially IT oriented, so talk of MIDI and DAW and such like may leave me floundering. Sorry.

This will end and you'll be back together again, if you are anything like our band this is the chance to refresh your set list, if you all learn a song a week it'll give some focus to your practice. mind you with the lack of focus I'm also learning a load of songs the rest of the band don't like, :)

I'm also looking to extend my range, I love Soul music but there's quite a high entry hurdle when moving from pop/rock this is a chance to build up some new skills. Playing regularly with covers bands can be a bit of a treadmill even though every gig still gives me a bit of a thrill.

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well you probably now have the time to change that 😉

Yep - Yesterday, I started to do some basic web research about DAWs and stuff. Quick Google of "Best free DAW" threw up quite a few suggestions, one of which was Tracktion 7. On the T7 website was a link to a YouTube video "Tracktion T7 overview". Aha, I thought  - a simple, staightforward introduction to what DAWs are and what they do. Then I played it. I have no idea at all what I was looking at - put me right off the whole idea.

• Like 1

I personally have not used any of the free ones. I find they look quite intimidating compared to the paid for ones. This is just my limited experience though. On my PC i have Sonar and Adobe Auditon, which i know well enough, but last year I brought a cheap Zoom R8 recorder. Its more like a digital Portastudio. This does me for messing about at home, and has a built in drum machine/amp sims etc. 

Edited by dave_bass5

This is what I do to keep playing and let my creative juices loose.

Really, it’s awesome fun , I am amazed more people don’t get involved.

next week when the voting is done and a new picture is posted, you can set your creativity free and practice your writing, playing, recording and production skills 

its a proper win, win, win, win B|