Why become a member? ×

best bass line ever ?

fryer

32 minutes ago, fryer said:

How about - Jethro Tull, Living in the past

I'll have to listen to that tune with my bass ears, I've never really taken much notice of the bass playing in the Tull (light blue touch paper, stands back waiting for fireworks of abuse! 😁).

The last 5 years I've been playing Stevie Wonder tunes more and more. I love playing and listening to the bass parts in I Wish and Superstition. Very challenging too when you change drummers and they have a different way of playing their part. All the Stevie tunes we play are interesting, difficult and fun, as I'm not James Jamerson I've had to adapt (simplify) For Once In My Life, it would probably take me about 6 months to learn it properly...oh, hang on, I've probably got about 6 months of free time 😆😷

• Like 1

1 hour ago, super al said:

Stevie Wonder... James Jamerson... For Once In My Life

This for my money is the greatest single bassline ever recorded. It's very busy but still sits beautifully in the song without overpowering it, and when you isolate it you really get to appreciate its fluid majesty. Brilliant.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rich said:

This for my money is the greatest single bassline ever recorded. It's very busy but still sits beautifully in the song without overpowering it, and when you isolate it you really get to appreciate its fluid majesty. Brilliant.

Yes, a great line.

I may well be wrong, Rich, but that sounds like a programmed midi bass line and not Jamerson (although very well programmed). 

Edited by lowdown

17 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Yes, a great line.

I may well be wrong, Rich, but that sounds like a programmed midi bass line and not Jamerson (although very well programmed). 

Yes it's definitely not Jamerson, but it is an entirely accurate facsimile of his original bassline.

49 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Glenn Cornick wasn't it?

Correct. !!! The late great Glenn Cornick was on bass for Tull's first four or five albums. He is/was one of my favourites, with a very busy but lyrical style. As well as his amazing playing on " Living in the Past" and" Bouree," check out his playing in Tull's lesser known track "Jeffrey Goes to Leicester Square" from the "Stand Up" album. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyFWn4uYC_4

Edited by Coilte

50 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yes it's definitely not Jamerson, but it is an entirely accurate facsimile of his original bassline.

The 'Vulf' in the top left corner gives it away, didn't the guitarist from Vulfpeck post this? He's a pretty decent bassist apparently.

2 hours ago, super al said:

The 'Vulf' in the top left corner gives it away, didn't the guitarist from Vulfpeck post this? He's a pretty decent bassist apparently.

Some interesting comments on that YouTube thread. Certainly caused a debate.

The bottom comment is a good one.  :D

@John the Bassist i transcribed then played the line on a similar setup as jamerson (p-bass with labellas and mute). in the latest videos i just animate to the original track.

software seems to be ignoring a lot of the grace notes

Bob
This is not Jamerson and is not a bass guitar, in case anyone would like 4 to know.

Some of the timing and notes are wrong (e.g. first three notes should be C up to D up to F, the A at 2:48 should be Bb, the A at 1:20 should be an octave down, the fill at 1:48 is way wrong) but this is super cool and pretty accurate otherwise.

Beautiful metronome sound....the best idea to ruin a bassline and Jamerson's especially. Are we at music school? Everyone's got a metronome.

4 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Glenn Cornick wasn't it?

Cornick played on the original version, that was intended to be on Stand Up bit never made it. Hammond-Hammond joined the band in 1971, and played the reworked version that went on to become famous was reworked in '72.  But then the original version was itself remastered and has subsequently been re-released on various special editions and compilations, so you are pretty much correct.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Coilte said:

Correct. !!! The late great Glenn Cornick was on bass for Tull's first four or five albums. He is/was one of my favourites, with a very busy but lyrical style. As well as his amazing playing on " Living in the Past" and" Bouree," check out his playing in Tull's lesser known track "Jeffrey Goes to Leicester Square" from the "Stand Up" album. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyFWn4uYC_4

Yes, quite right and a great player, as you say

I even sold Glen a Fender bass neck once after he bid on it on Ebay.  Trouble was he lived in California, so to my astonishment, he sent his friend and Tull drummer Clive Bunker round to my home to pick it up and take it California with him when they next met up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/03/2020 at 14:26, Japhet said:

Waterfront - Simple Minds.😀

Have wanted my band to play it for years so that I can play a few bars into a looper and then saunter off to the bar for a pint.

I saw Big Country a few years ago, with Derek Forbes playing bass... They played Waterfront (well they would), and gesturing to Forbes, the singer introduced it as 'the greatest note he ever wrote'.