Why become a member? ×

G&L LB100 great deals

la bam

10 hours ago, la bam said:

Now listed for anyone interested.

I'd be very interested but you couldn't be selling it at a worse time for me! I've had a few G&L's, US and Tributes but NEVER a Precision type. I don't quite understand the 'problem' with the tuners. Never had any trouble with them over the years. 

I’m seriously torn between a Sunburst JB-2 and the Sunburst LB100!

I’ve always been a p bass guy especially recording and live but on the last recording I used a Fender USA jazz (Borrowed from a friend) through a Darkglass B7k and Ampeg PF700 into a 8x10 cab which sounded incredible however I struggle with the jazz body shape.

Currently I’m bassless and torn, any help or recommendations would be great as I want a G&L tribute as my next bass!

My pair of Tribute JB-2s are pictured earlier in this thread.

I like this model because it is a Jazz bass with more of a P body shape about it.
Personally I think it’s a simple, clean, not overly fussy, yet quite elegant looking bass and would say the sunburst/maple combo probably looks the best combo out of the three options available for the JB-2

As far as LB100 vs JB-2 goes, that would depend on whether you want a P type bass or a Jazz bass that doesn’t have an offset body and pickguard. 

Also a sunburst JB-2 is a bit cheaper than an LB100 if that is important to you.

I used to have a Tribute L2K. Super solid bass. Great value for money and the set-up was good. I only sold it as the neck was a bit too wide for my taste. 

I think G&L basses, and especially the Tribute series, are a bit unsung heroes in the bass world. I can see that G&L is a bit more into marketing recently, they have changed their product portfolio and their basses are also more widely distributed here in the UK. Hope it will work for them. 

• Like 2

On 27/03/2020 at 14:49, la bam said:

Well, in a twist, I'm going to sell mine.

I've left the tribute band I used this in, and have other basses, so it's simply surplus to my needs, as much as I'd like to keep it. I'd also had a special hard case specifically made for it.

I'll post the ad in the for sale section.

Was that a G&L Tribute band? 

I'll get my coat...

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/04/2020 at 00:27, ClassicVibes said:

Any ideas why G&L stopped making the Fullerton JB-2? 

Haven’t read anything but would think that sales of the Fullerton made JB-2 started to fall away when the offset JB bass started shipping. Same Alnico pickups(?)VVT controls, default neck carve and nut width etc in a more traditional guise. 
The active version of the JB-2, the MJ-4 with the M series preamp was discontinued some time ago too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2020 at 12:46, jezzaboy said:

I got one of the natural ones a few weeks ago. Really nice and a steal at £400. I was a bit worried that the neck would be like the L2000 tribute which I find too chunky but the neck on these is like a standard P bass. 

It has a 3 piece body but it looks fine from the front, not to obvious. It is a bit of a lump though, must be about 9.5 - 10 lb`s.

Hi, I'l looking at the LB100 Tribute too in natural.  I'm also concerned the neck may be chunky as I have a 50's P bass too but you say it's about the same ?    

How are you enjoying the LB100 ? 

I’d say play it first and see if you need the tone control. I thought I would when I bought mine but found I didn’t need it. Changing the volume of the pickups can get a pretty good approximation of a tone rolled off. 

then again if it doesn’t work how you want it’s simple enough to change! 

I read somewhere that Leo intended the bridge pickup on an SB-2 to function as the tone control, rather than being used as a stand-alone pickup in its own right.

I have an old, mid-90s US SB-2 and the bridge pickup is significantly lower in output than the neck pickup.

I can well believe that it's purely there to add some bite to the P-style pickup.

Either way, I've never missed a tone control on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, la bam said:

If you have any issues, covering the backside of the scratchplate with aluminium foil should solve it.

2 hours ago, Geddys nose said:

I’ve not And I’ve had a few, Just got a M2000 recently and it’s silent.

Good to hear. I was looking at picking up a JB-2 which obviously doesn't have a pickguard on it.

Some flats installed would make it a thump machine. :)

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

Good to hear. I was looking at picking up a JB-2 which obviously doesn't have a pickguard on it.

Some flats installed would make it a thump machine. :)

£329 Delivered

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/g--l/guitars/bass/?Ordering=3&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&utm_source=guitarguitar+Main+Newsletter&utm_campaign=d540b09953-EMAIL_GLTRIBUTE_2020_05_20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bb8007ee21-d540b09953-459600573

885F167D-0DD6-4AEA-9CCE-054427E9DF74.jpeg