Why become a member? ×

Leland Sklar YouTube play along

NoirBass

Off the back of these videos (thanks NoirBass!) I’ve been seeking out and having a listen to some of the other stuff he’s played on, much of it I wasn’t aware of.

Over the years I had assumed (incorrectly) that Lee Sklar was pretty much a singer songwriters bass player, and until recently hadn’t heard of his early group, The Section.

Blimey, what a talented bunch of players!

This album is well worth checking out - his playing is phenomenal!  

https://open.spotify.com/album/6jietaVl69G4VQKbrCKIlH?si=MILJA9Y_QxeJ2VRhQ-8bJA

• Like 1

On 25/04/2020 at 23:30, stewblack said:

just when I thought I couldn't love this guy more.  beautiful to watch. You notice how as his first note approaches he seems to slip towards a trance state? 

Then he's gone. He's in that wonderful place that only a repetitive bass groove can take you. 

Hadn't  remembered he was on Stratus till I saw him trancing through this. Cobham and Bolin. The guy can play anything. The vids ramble a bit but He's so cool.

Edited by JottoSW1
Misspelt He's dammnit!
  • Like 1

One of the many joys of hearing Lee play these lines is hearing the instruments so clearly, simply and consistently recorded and played. It's not hard to see why Frankenstein was his main bass for so many years combining the best of P and J basses to my ear for his style. The (even more Frankensteined) 62 Jazz is also wonderful and the Hofner sounds as good in his hands as anyone I've heard. Of the Dingwalls my favourite tone by a way is the (very pretty) one he used on "Immediate Family", probably due to what looks like a more Jazz style pickup spacing than any of the others, reflecting my own preferences. The Warwick was pretty ideal for the Lyle tune, but didn't really stand out in the company of the others here...

Just to add - thanks NoirBass for posting these. I'd never have found them otherwise!

Edited by OzJzF
  • Like 1

I’ve watched a few of these videos now and each time i’ve thought there's someone in the background doing the washing up in the kitchen.

Only today have I realised its a mirror.. 🤦‍♂️😅

Edited by chaypup
Typo
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, chaypup said:

I’ve watched a few of these videos now and each time i’ve thought there's someone in the background doing the washing up in the kitchen.

Only today have I realised its a mirror.. 🤦‍♂️😅

How can I get my mirror to do the washing up?

• Haha 1

Thanks again to NoirBass.

Pretty much every day for nearly two months NoirBass has taken the time to share these videos... thank you so much!!

They’ve now become part of my lockdown ritual! And whilst some of the actual music may not be to my taste, to be able to watch, listen to and learn from such a consummate and experienced musician as Lee Sklar is wonderful.

It’s a good job he’s played on over 2000 albums!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Thanks again to NoirBass.

Pretty much every day for nearly two months NoirBass has taken the time to share these videos... thank you so much!!

They’ve now become part of my lockdown ritual! And whilst some of the actual music may not be to my taste, to be able to watch, listen to and learn from such a consummate and experienced musician as Lee Sklar is wonderful.

It’s a good job he’s played on over 2000 albums!!

I was wondering whether to continue posting these or just add a link to Mr Sklar's YouTube channel. Kind comments like this mean I obviously should continue.

I've hugely enjoyed watching these daily videos too - the mans a genius; whist his bass playing is exemplary, his approach to life and attitude towards others is an even bigger inspiration.   

• Like 4