Why become a member? ×

Leland Sklar YouTube play along

NoirBass

On 22/04/2020 at 06:55, NoirBass said:

Day 26 - You'll Be In My Heart

Not a fan of these PC Disney songs but the video came on whilst i was distracted. Firstly, gulf colours and a ding wall is a match made in Canadian heaven and secondly, the little sliding tenth! What a simple trick and so effective. Nicked and noted, thank you Lee!

Seems ironic that such a seminal session guy who's contributed so many unique parts to compositions and just been paid the session fee and performing royalties if he's lucky gets busted on a copyright issue. I wonder how much he got paid by Massive Attack's record company for 'Safe From Harm', basically all centred around his Stratus bassline? If indeed he got composer royalties for that?

On 21/04/2020 at 00:21, peteb said:

Lee's back with Stratus (off the Spectrum album by Billy Cobham). I have attempted to play this in the past (but never actually gigged it) and it is a real exercise in stamina. My right hand is cramping up just at the thought of it. 

I haven't had chance to watch this all the way through, so I will look forward to doing so tomorrow. One of the seminal albums he has contributed to and I am sure that he will have an interesting anecdote about making it to share. 

just when I thought I couldn't love this guy more.  beautiful to watch. You notice how as his first note approaches he seems to slip towards a trance state? 

Then he's gone. He's in that wonderful place that only a repetitive bass groove can take you. 

• Like 2

He says in one of the clips that he finds it hard when they ask him to double his lines in the studio since he plays very impulsive and doesn't really "know" what he's going to play..

He finds himself "like a deer in headlights" when they ask him to double his lines and he has to do that bar by bar..

Bit weird when you think of the possibility to write your part down and then read it.. Shouldn't be too hard for a seasoned veteran like him ?