Why become a member? ×

Leland Sklar YouTube play along

NoirBass

58 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

At the end of the above video, he talks about his set-up for these YT clips and it is very basic: he apologisies for the sound and his playing!

That's what promoted me to post really, my home recording set up is more sophisticated than his! It’s quite an aggressive tone to my ears, but there’s a few billion radio plays/ record sales/ audience members between us so what do I know?!😆

The latest one is up

That B string doesn’t seem to be getting a lot of use, especially as this tune seems to be mostly played within the first 5 frets (“conventional” wisdom says play this mid neck, incorporating the B). Still, another marvellous vid from Lee, it’s his style of playing and his style sounds good to my ears.

Side note: is Lee’s beard the longest standing in music? I understand he hasn’t shaved since college.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The latest one is up

That B string doesn’t seem to be getting a lot of use, especially as this tune seems to be mostly played within the first 5 frets (“conventional” wisdom says play this mid neck, incorporating the B). Still, another marvellous vid from Lee, it’s his style of playing and his style sounds good to my ears.

Side note: is Lee’s beard the longest standing in music? I understand he hasn’t shaved since college.

This one must run him close, it looks longer but not as wide?

image.thumb.png.56da568b74ac7e55dd4a41f60111183c.png

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The latest one is up

Thanks for posting, you beat me to it.

Edited by NoirBass
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

This one must run him close, it looks longer but not as wide?

image.thumb.png.56da568b74ac7e55dd4a41f60111183c.png

I was wondering about Billy. However, on their '72/'73 tour, pictures show a clean shaven Gibbons. On the other hand, Dusty had a good beard then, so he might give Lee a run for his money.

5 hours ago, ezbass said:

I can only speak for my own experience from letting my beard grow out a while back.

It took eighteen months to get to what you see on my avatar.  Although I enjoyed ownership of it at that length, it was a responsibility which I felt would wear on me over time.  It isn't so long now.

You don't really want it much longer than that anyway else it gets caught up in stuff.  More importantly, people don't realise what a fire hazard a long beard can be.

As I am otherwise quite bald, what I learned from the experience was:

• I rediscovered the joy of being able to run my fingers through my own hair.
  • I rediscovered the thrill of feeling the wind in my hair.
  • Little children thought I was awesome
  • Older people thought I was a dirty old tramp

Oh, and when I trimmed it back to stubble I had the extraordinary feeling of wet skin where there had previously been hair.  It wasn't actually wet but I still had to check in the mirror a couple of times at first.  That took a day or two to get used to.

Mr Sklar is therefore both my bass hero and my beard hero.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Ah, at last, bass playing. Lee tells a great anecdote but his jokes (or at least his telling of them) is not so hot.

Sussudio is a proper workout when you’ve had 4 days off!

Edited by ezbass

Lee's back with Stratus (off the Spectrum album by Billy Cobham). I have attempted to play this in the past (but never actually gigged it) and it is a real exercise in stamina. My right hand is cramping up just at the thought of it. 

I haven't had chance to watch this all the way through, so I will look forward to doing so tomorrow. One of the seminal albums he has contributed to and I am sure that he will have an interesting anecdote about making it to share. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, peteb said:

Lee's back with Stratus (off the Spectrum album by Billy Cobham). I have attempted to play this in the past (but never actually gigged it) and it is a real exercise in stamina. My right hand is cramping up just at the thought of it. 

I haven't had chance to watch this all the way through, so I will look forward to doing so tomorrow. One of the seminal albums he has contributed to and I am sure that he will have an interesting anecdote about making it to share. 

This is a great episode with lots of anecdotes after the performance. Takes me back to seeing the Mahavishnu Orchestra in the early 70's and buying  Spectrum when it came out. Didin't understand more than10 % of what they were playing at the time either!