Why become a member? ×

Leland Sklar YouTube play along

NoirBass

3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Just watched the first video up at the top of the thread there 👆

You could show that to anyone learning bass to illustrate how to support the song, to play well without the need for flashy fills. It's a beautiful illustration and a wake up call for me. I'm nowhere near as bad as I was 35 years ago but I am still guilty of playing way too much. 

Wait until you get to Day 4. You may need to rethink the comment about flashy fills 😂

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Wait until you get to Day 4. You may need to rethink the comment about flashy fills 😂

I may well have to! But I was being specific about that one video. Watched the interview with GP as well now. What a lovely guy Mr Sklar is. 

Interesting to note that the Maccartney line he referred to when describing how good bass playing can be is similarly economical. 

I am excited to hear him let rip. 

16 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

Me too, @stewblack!

I catch myself sometimes saying - "no keep it simple, go with the music - don't get carried away with extra fills etc" . It is tougher than it appears. 

Less is more!

Yep. But I keep thinking, how will anyone know how great I am unless I show them??? 

All well and good for Mr Sklar to have the respect of the entire music industry but I need to impress a bar full of drunken office workers and randy builders

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Yep. But I keep thinking, how will anyone know how great I am unless I show them??? 

All well and good for Mr Sklar to have the respect of the entire music industry but I need to impress a bar full of drunken office workers and randy builders

Ah, then you need to play guitar, drums or sing lead vocals 😂.

• Haha 1

Hey back to the guy with the beard. I noticed he often plays with just his first finger on his right hand. Today is the day I stop seeing this as a major technique defect and, whenever I see a video of myself doing it, just let it go.

27 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Hey back to the guy with the beard. I noticed he often plays with just his first finger on his right hand.

So did James Jamerson. I do on simple lines. The notes tend to be more even and flow better with one finger plucking.

56 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Hey back to the guy with the beard. I noticed he often plays with just his first finger on his right hand. Today is the day I stop seeing this as a major technique defect and, whenever I see a video of myself doing it, just let it go.

Nowt wrong with that.

OK, well, that is a record for me. Three Phil Collins tracks in one day. Three more than I have listened to in the last decade! But oh what a treat. I Missed Again was a bit sloppy apparently. Ha ha ha - oh to be so sloppy. Wonderful wonderful bass line.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, stewblack said:

OK, well, that is a record for me. Three Phil Collins tracks in one day. Three more than I have listened to in the last decade! But oh what a treat. I Missed Again was a bit sloppy apparently. Ha ha ha - oh to be so sloppy. Wonderful wonderful bass line.

I really do get the impression that he’s rocking up in front of his PC (personal computer - not Phil Collins) every day not having played any of these songs since he last gigged them. Me? I would be hard pushed to remember the first couple of notes of any of the songs 😀.

I think he is a genuine soul with such a love for music, you can’t help but like him. I did have a little chuckle when he said he would rather he was quiet and the band was loud. That’s the exact opposite of what I had previously heard about him, but that’s neither here nor there.

I’m looking forward to the rest of the set. 

3 hours ago, NoirBass said:

Day 7 - Can't Turn Back The Years

In this one Leland talks about going to 3 Flea Markets this morning but now he's going to 'hunker down' and stay in at home for the foreseable. He lives in Pasadena I believe and one can only hope CV19 is not as advanced there as it is here?

Edited by yorks5stringer

First saw Mr Sklar playing for Phil Collins at Knebworth 90, I was 13. I thought he was incredible.

Fast forward a few years and I was doing a session for a Dutch guitarist, who casually mentioned the bass player on his previous album was Lee Sklar. No pressure then!

Edited by scalpy
  • Haha 1

On 25/03/2020 at 10:35, chris_b said:

Great playing again. Notice how the strings hardly move when Lee plucks/strokes them.

Also good advice. . . . . . . "We never did anything exactly like the record."

He has fabulous technique.