Why become a member? ×

Home recording guitar

MoonBassAlpha

It would be really useful for my guitarist to record his own takes in to Reaper while he's working from home and we aren't getting together at mine for recording.

He only has an old laptop running w10, no mic input (built in only, I guess?) but does have usb.

He tried a Blackstar id which didn't work. He's pretty skint, what's a good option?

41 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

...an old laptop running w10, no mic input (built in only, I guess?) but does have usb.

He tried a Blackstar id which didn't work. He's pretty skint, what's a good option?

The Blackstar should work on that laptop, but he'll probably need to add an ASIO4All driver to get it recognised. It can be downloaded (free...) from here ...

Asio4all.org ...

That's about the cheapest way to go, assuming that he already owns the BlackStar. Other than that, a second-hand audio interface such as the very popular Focusrite Scarlette 2i2 or similar will do fine, too. The laptop will be fine for running Reaper (free for 60 days, then a one-time 60$ fee...); I used a low-grade laptop for years with no issues.
Hope this helps. B|

Edited by Dad3353

Thanks Douglas, I'm pretty sure he downloaded the driver and still couldn't get it to work, so maybe the amp is faulty. Thinking out loud, maybe there's a firmware update available?

Yes, the focusrite is a consideration, i guess the cheaper Solo would also be fine?