Posted (edited)

Gibson G3 1976

Nice old black Gibson G3. This bass was made in 1976, of course in the USA. 

NhDfKSH.jpg

It's just a terrific playing and sounding bass with a voice of its own. Action goes low on this one, so it is really easy playing. The G3 has a rather clear and aggressive sound, which can be great for various styles. I've played it with rounds as well as flats, and it sounds great with both. It's a pretty light bass; my kitchen scale tells me it's weighing 3,65kg. 

A few more pics:

yy8ITp2.jpg

XVLu70V.jpg

bMOW44h.jpg

wOBFL0J.jpg

7dPAu8y.jpg

YomVKHt.jpg

kmpXQGK.jpg

EggpbIo.jpg

EWTtszH.jpg

1Sdhwcm.jpg

ejG6YHr.jpg

Qm11VZP.jpg

2JVqs0H.jpg

As you can see, the G3 is in a good shape for its age. It has a few small damages and some wear on the back of the neck, but overall it looks pretty clean. I've had people thinking it to be some kind of reissue a few times 😄

This bass plays really well and allows low action. The neck is straight and adjustable, and all hardware and electronics work like they should. Fretwork is good too. Apart from the strap buttons, all should be original. The intonation screws have been changed for shorter ones by the previous owner, but I've got the originals included in a little bag. 

This bass comes with it's original case, which is in very good shape too. Also some original paperwork is included. New Dean Markley strings have been fitted last week. 

As much as I love the playability and sounds of this bass, I rarely play it due to other sound preferences band-wise. I think it left the house about 5 times since I got it a year ago... So let's see if I can swap it for something different that I'll be using more. 

Asking €1.500

The bass is located in the Netherlands, but could be shipped insured at buyers risk/expense. 

Trades/partial trades are welcome. I would be mainly interested in a good 2eq Stingray with lacquered full maple neck (like early 90s, would love a honeyburst).

Some other example of what I may like; a good precision (Squier jv/sq, quality copy), jazz bass special, early 80s precision special, good "lawsuit" era stuff, fretless 70s fender precision, effects... I am into 4 string basses, fretted or fretless. Usually I like traditionally styled stuff. 

Pm if you have any questions or an interesting proposal. 

Edited by MB1
  • Like 2

Ooh a G3!  These basses are starting to grow on me after listening to a Ripper on a Pompamoose track played by the lovely Hagar.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2020 at 14:28, Gary Williams said:

That used to be mine! Fantastic bass and great slap tone too!

All true! 

This is a bass that just can't sound bad. Even with old roundwound strings these G3's sound great. 

I probably should not sell it... 

On 31/03/2020 at 13:28, Gary Williams said:

That used to be mine! Fantastic bass and great slap tone too!

I was looking at this and thinking exactly the same - in fact, I think it's still my Google profile picture. I should never have sold it, loads of fun :)

• Like 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mikeycrikey
      For sale or Trade.
      Ibanez SR500. Owned from new. Had it about 3 years. Bought this Super lightweight guitar, when i seemed to constantly have a bad back and my Yamha BB herd all felt too heavy for me. Thankfully the back seems to have settled down for now.
      The 3 band active electronics give you a huge range of tonal options. The neck is very slim and fast.
      The build quality of these is first right and least equal too the Yamha brand.
      I only used this on 3 gigs and had it tuned down a full tone. It seemed to handle this a lot better than my Yamahas.
      Always got compliments on tone from other bass players when i used it.
      Selling because i need to make some space for P Bass.
      Bass is in good condition except there are a few small finger nail marks between the 2 pickups which is normal for these as they do mark easily.
      There is also a small dint in the side of the body.
      Non of these effect the playability of the guitar in any way 
      Would be willing to trade for Precision bass or possibly a Jazz. Happy to add some cash too.
      Collection is preferred but willing to post at buyers expense. Still have the original box. Also happy to meet up in the North West. Whilst maintaing social distancing.

• By loremil
      Selling this GR BASS 700+ lightweight bass amp head. Completely Made in Italy, this is a small but very powerful bass head that delivers 350W at 8 ohms and 700W at 4 ohms.
      I'm selling this as I really don't use it much, it has seen mostly home and some live use but is in great condition. The fan is slightly noisy but it can be turned on and off, and when really needed in live situations it can't be heard at all. Features include a Sub Filter switch to remove inaudible sub frequencies which increases you speaker efficiency, a 400Hz-800Hz frequency selector switch for the mids, a dedicated DI volume which also acts as a headphone volume, an AUX input, headphone jack for silent practicing, and a handy mute button.
      Comes with a power lead and a handy Gator Cases carry bag. Collection in Hackney, London or shipping at buyer's expense. Thanks for looking!
      Here are the full specs:
      POWER
      700W RMS 4 ohm, 350W 8 ohm
      DIMENSIONS
      Dimensions: 24 x 20 x 5 cm
      Weight: 2,1 Kg
      PLUS
      - VU meter led
      - 9 Volt Output pedal effects
      - Switch fan on/off noiseless
      - Subsonic filter for woofer protection
      - Color: black (other colours available on request)
      - Panel+logo: brushed aluminium with possibility of colours customization
      FRONT PANEL
      - Input
      - V meter dot bar
      - -10 db
      - Aux In
      - Gain
      - Mid Eq
      - Bass
      - Mid Frequency 400-800 hz
      - High
      - Sub Filter
      - Volume DI / headphone
      - Master
      - Mute
      - Led mute
      - Out headphone
      REAR PANEL
      - Input 230-115v (auto selectable)
      - 9 Volt
      - Tuner Out
      - Send/Return
      - Pre/Post DI
      - DI Output
      - Speakon/Jack Outputs

• By SurroundedByManatees
      Gibson SB-450 
      Cool and rare Gibson from the '70s. Apparently less then 1.000 were made, so there aren't too many of them around. 
      Pictures:

As you can see from the pictures, the bass has been used. It has a lot of user marks and finish checking all over. The bridge has been replaced (original one in poor condition is still there), as well as the truss rod cover. It should be mentioned that the plastic cover of the bridge pickup has broken at the point where the adjustment screw enters. Someone tried to melt it together again, but its still loose. I've set the hight, and left it this way. 
      Further this bass is in good functional condition. The neck is straight and all hardware and electronics function like they should. 
      This bass plays and sounds great. It has an open, clear and full punchy sound. Not what is usually expected from a Gibson. It's also a very light instrument; my kitchen scale says it's only 3,35 kilos! 
      The original hardcase is included. 
      Asking €1.100 (approx £975)
      Trades are welcome; I am especially interested in a stingray. Ideally a 2eq with lacquered neck, maple fretboard, honeyburst..
    • By JapanAxe
      I bought this cab direct from Barefaced in 2013. You can find the full spec here.

I have used it paired with a Barefaced Compact (1x15), or on its own. Used alone with a decent amp (in my case, Ampeg 50W valve or Demeter 800W Class D) it is perfectly capable of filling a large hall. And it weighs only 9kg. Barefaced suggest using it with an amp in the 150W-600W range - I seem to recall the thermal maximum was around 400W. At some point it may struggle to compete with your own version Keith Moon or John Bonham, but it is still a very capable cab.

It has the more expensive (and lighter) vintage-style grille cloth and comes with a Roqsolid cover which has done a grand job of protecting it when travelling to and from gigs in my car. The cover has worn through in one spot (see photos). There is some light scuffing to the handle mounts.

Why am I selling? I now have a Barefaced Super Twin for larger gigs, and a Barefaced One 10 for smaller ones. Much as I would love to keep the Midget, I need the cupboard space, and my toy fund is running low from lack of gigging!

Yours for £329 including insured delivery to mainland UK.

• By 6feet7
      An absolutely stunning example with matching headstock Maruszczyk Jake 5+ P/MM that is around 7lbs / 3.2Kg in weight,
      Fitted with passive Delano MC5 HE/M2 and PC5 HE/M2 pickups and comes with a Hiscox hard case.
      New D'Addario nickel rounds fitted but I can include some used DR Sunbeams if you'd prefer.
      18mm string spacing at the bridge
      If you've ever wanted a lightweight 5 stringer that weighs so little that a 2 or 3 hour set leaves little to no impression on your ageing shoulders, then this is the bass to have