Why become a member? ×

Non Beatles Fans look away now

PaulWarning

13 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Macca should have stopped a while back, it's getting embarrassing.  It's not like he needs the money!

I thought his last album was the best work  he’d done in quite a while. It had a couple of duds on it, but he’s never been the best at self editing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

I thought his last album was the best work  he’d done in quite a while. It had a couple of duds on it, but he’s never been the best at self editing.

Quite, when in the Beatles he'd got Lennon and George Martin to do that job, but, and I'm only surmising here, he surrounds himself with yes men who are on the payroll, well they're not going to turn round and say  "That's rubbish Paul" are they?

I remember an interview with him after the 'Give my regards to Broad St' calamity, where he said "I can see it's not very good now, but why didn't somebody tell me at the time?" 

15 minutes ago, chris_b said:

My solution to this problem would be to have 2 phones. Then you can fit all the Beatles songs on and some of their better solo songs.

I've now got a 64gb card in my phone, loads of room, there's not much solo Beatle stuff I'd want on there tbh, imo the sum of the parts is far exceeded by the greater whole, which is true of a lot of bands

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

...he surrounds himself with yes men who are on the payroll, well they're not going to turn round and say  "That's rubbish Paul" are they?

I believe Nigel Godrich did, when producing ‘Chaos and Creation in the Backyard’, and hasn’t worked with McCartney since. That’s a strong album though, Godrich was clearly a positive and productive influence.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Julia is a beautiful song.

I do agree that The White Album would have made a classic single album, there's too much filler for a double album.

I would choose 13 songs from the original double album. Three would be Macca tunes, one would be a Harrison, one would be a Ringo tune and all the rest would be from Lennon.

Paul Mccartney couldn't half come out with some saccharine rubbish sometimes.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 2

Surprised to hear BCers still downloading music files to their phones.
Assumed the opportunity to have so much at your fingertips on Spotify / streamed would be where most were at .. 

Edited by Drax

7 hours ago, Drax said:

Assumed the opportunity to have so much at your fingertips on Spotify / streamed would be where most were at .. 

I download Spotify tunes to my phone so I don't use up all my data, also helps when out in the wilds with no service.

10 hours ago, Drax said:

Spotify has at best two-thirds of the music I want to listen to available. If I want to hear my favourite tunes they need to be downloaded from my record/CD collection to my device.

On 22/03/2020 at 17:12, PaulWarning said:

I've just been loading the entire Beatles catalogue onto my phone, trouble is I was running out of space so I deleted the songs I don't like, got me thinking, seeing as we're stuck at home maybe fellow basschaters would like to say whether they agree or not.

These are the ones I deleted.

Till There Was You

Yesterday

Eleanor Rigby

Yellow Submarine

Within You Without You

When I'm 64

Wild Honey Pie

Martha My Dear

Piggies

Rocky Raccoon

Why Don't We Do It In The Road

I Will

Julie

Mother Nature's Son

Honey Pie

Revolution 9

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

The Fool On The Hill

Flying

Blue Jay Way

Your Mother Should know

All You Need Is Love

You may have noticed a lot off the White Album, I'm with George Martin on this one, it would have made a great single album, not a fan of Macca's tweeness either, I also cut Hey Jude down to 3.45, that ending is way too long

This is tough since even their weakest songs are usually pretty damn good

Till There Was You   Agree

Yesterday  One of their best songs imo and one of the finest songs ever written, I would have kept it

Eleanor Rigby Also one of their best songs

Yellow Submarine Agree

Within You Without You Agree

When I'm 64 Agree

Wild Honey Pie Agree

Martha My Dear Somewhat agree

Piggies Somewhat agree

Rocky Raccoon Agree 100%

Why Don't We Do It In The Road Disagree, I quite like this one

I Will Agree

Julie Agree

Mother Nature's Son Somewhat agree

Honey Pie Agree

Revolution 9 Agree, their weakest track imo

Maxwell's Silver Hammer Agree

The Fool On The Hill Somewhat agree

Flying Agree

Blue Jay Way Agree

Your Mother Should knowDisagree

All You Need Is Love Somewhat agree

• Like 1

On 22/03/2020 at 17:51, stewblack said:

Eleanor Rigsby always been a favourite of mine though.

On 22/03/2020 at 18:03, MrCrane said:

Is that the one with Leonard Rossiter on vocals? 🙂

It's a little known fact that an obscure band by the name of Ultravox, I think they were called, had a slight hit with a song about Rigsby's cat.

image.png.871cad496146672aa97892864144be9f.png

Compared to The* Beatles their back catalogue is a bit thin though.

*We can go back to using the definite article with band names and not get condescending remarks from whippersnappers now can't we?  Phew TFFT.

On 22/03/2020 at 12:47, PaulWarning said:

yeah, I like the rocky stuff mainly and I don't think any of the others play on it, could be wrong,  some I've just got fed up with hearing them, that's one of them

Tell it ! Some tunes have a good bass part and some songs are a recording experiment that turned out nice . I like rock .

I've just been loading the entire Beatles catalogue onto my phone, trouble is I was running out of space so I deleted the songs I don't like

It's a nice problem to have though isn't it?

I don't carry my music with me nor do I stream.  I had my fill of that with cassette tape and Walkman clones.

I can see how some members might have a completist attitude in that they'd have to have all or nothing of the body of work that The Beatles did but where would you stop?  With the Fan Club recordings?  With the lost recordings of demos recovered?  With foreign language versions of their hits?

I've felt I should have their entire works in the past but despite having the means, as we do today, of compiling the whole collection with relative ease, I don't do anything about it.  That said, I probably haven't listened to the non-hits so much.

It's not quite the same as with an artist such as Bowie where you hear a song and although you can't relate to it until you've heard it through a couple more times, you know the time you invest in listening will be rewarded.  I'd be more interested in having his entire works.  This because I feel I can always "get" the essence of a Beatles tune relatively quickly but with Bowie I'd like to have his tunes on hand to really get under the skin of them.

Weeding out Beatles tracks wouldn't be too hard for me.  I would start with all of the top ten hits because I have heard them over and over.  I will continue to hear them over and over too.  That leaves the ones that I may not have given much of my time to in the past.  Okay they're not perhaps as deep as Bowie's stuff but they were ten years before and I was still a young child.  It's as if Pop Music was maturing alongside of me, becoming deeper and more sophisticated, a bit* like myself.

*I use the term, "a bit", loosely.  When I say "loosely"; I mean "not at all"

Edited by SpondonBassed

16 hours ago, Drax said:

Some of us don't  have a smartphone to download music file to...

17 hours ago, Drax said:

Some of us are anti-streaming remember.

I don't do it as a rule.

52 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Some of us are anti-streaming remember.

I don't do it as a rule.

Yeah we're on the same side here. Streaming royalties are crap - artists should get more. One of the many paradoxes we have in life today.

I view that avoiding streaming doesn't help the artist, but buying their record does. Listen to the vinyl / CD at home - and feel relatively comfortable listening on Spotify when out. This is all the more important for emerging artists. 

Sorry for thread derail - conscious it's ground we've covered before. 🤘

• Like 1

You may have noticed a lot off the White Album, I'm with George Martin on this one, it would have made a great single

Fixed that for you (I'm sure others have done the same). I used to love the White Album, I don't know why but in the last five years over which I haven't listened to it at all, a look through the track listing makes me seriously question my former tastes. 

Re Hey Jude, love the Primal Scream-esque bass-line on the Love album