Why become a member? ×

Non Beatles Fans look away now

PaulWarning

18 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

I’d have kept the first four, I can live without the rest.

Interesting that you kept ‘Don’t Pass Me By’. 

an interesting one that, and one I can live with, the stereo version anyway, the mono version sounds like it's been speeded up, Ringo almost sounds like a Chipmonk 😁

I can see a new thread, name your favourite and least favourite Beatles track and you're only allowed one of each, is that a goer?

An interesting take on the Beatles Paul. You’ve got us thinking.

I freely admit I’m biased but I think every song of theirs has at least a flash of gold.

For example, Yellow Submarine is an absolute pinnacle of lightweight kiddie-pop.

Bloody annoying after 2 minutes though.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

An interesting take on the Beatles Paul. You’ve got us thinking.

I freely admit I’m biased but I think every song of theirs has at least a flash of gold.

For example, Yellow Submarine is an absolute pinnacle of lightweight kiddie-pop.

Bloody annoying after 2 minutes though.

I think you'd be hard pushed to find a flash of gold in 'Why Don't We Do It in the Road' 😀

Hey Jude is bloody annoying after 3 and half minutes, to me anyway

From the perspective of not being a fan, I guess there could well be several tracks of thiers that I do like but haven't heard because I have never st down and listened to all the stuff.  I used to lift share to gigs with the drummer in my late covers band and often on the way home from gigs he felt it his duty to play me Beatles from time to time.  Late last year he played me 'I Want You' from Abbey Road which, to my knowledge, I had never heard before.  I actually like that a lot :) 

19 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I also cut Hey Jude down to 3.45, that ending is way too long

As long as you kept the "whoa, fookinell" which is my favourite bit :lol: 

I'd definitely have kept Eleanor Rigby and binned Ob-la-di (and Octopus' Garden, did you keep that?), but I agree on a lot of the others. I'm not wild about their twee moments either.

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

As long as you kept the "whoa, fookinell" which is my favourite bit :lol: 

I'd definitely have kept Eleanor Rigby and binned Ob-la-di (and Octopus' Garden, did you keep that?), but I agree on a lot of the others. I'm not wild about their twee moments either.

Octopus's Garden was a close call, but having already ditched Yellow Submarine I decided to keep it simply because I've not heard it that often

You're ok the swearing is at 2:58 so still there, incidentally it must have been in one of the early tracks they laid down because Paul's singing over it and it's in the mono and stereo versions (not sure whether they did separate recordings for them by then, they certainly did in the early days, witness the wrong words being sung on the stereo version of Please Please Me)

I love all the Magical Mystery Tour stuff. It’s actually my favourite Beatles  ‘album’ (given it wasn’t originally an album).

Don’t think I’d bin anything you’ve listed. Off the top of my head the only one that would definitely go is Obloody Bladi. I can’t stand that, never could. 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2020 at 17:12, PaulWarning said:

I've just been loading the entire Beatles catalogue onto my phone, trouble is I was running out of space so I deleted the songs I don't like, got me thinking, seeing as we're stuck at home maybe fellow basschaters would like to say whether they agree or not.

These are the ones I deleted.

Till There Was You

Yesterday

Eleanor Rigby

Yellow Submarine

Within You Without You

When I'm 64

Wild Honey Pie

Martha My Dear

Piggies

Rocky Raccoon

Why Don't We Do It In The Road

I Will

Julie

Mother Nature's Son

Honey Pie

Revolution 9

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

The Fool On The Hill

Flying

Blue Jay Way

Your Mother Should know

All You Need Is Love

You may have noticed a lot off the White Album, I'm with George Martin on this one, it would have made a great single album, not a fan of Macca's tweeness either, I also cut Hey Jude down to 3.45, that ending is way too long

Fair bit from the White Album there. I'm not surprised. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 4000 said:

I love all the Magical Mystery Tour stuff. It’s actually my favourite Beatles  ‘album’ (given it wasn’t originally an album).

It's a magnificent collection, often overlooked because it wasn't an 'official' album as such, but there isn't a duffer on there as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It's a magnificent collection, often overlooked because it wasn't an 'official' album as such, but there isn't a duffer on there as far as I'm concerned.

not keen on all you need is love tbh, the trouble with that album is it wasn't really an album originally but 2 EP's, it was made into an album by putting on previously released singles

4 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

not keen on all you need is love tbh, the trouble with that album is it wasn't really an album originally but 2 EP's, it was made into an album by putting on previously released singles

I’m with CV. The entire thing is wonderful, regardless of how it was constructed. Love it to bits. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Interesting that you didn't cut all the ones Ringo takes lead vocal on.  Back in the day, my mum used to think he had the best voice - which is probably what put me off.

judging by the recent Macca and Ringo performance on the last leg of Paul's US tour he has the best voice of any living Beatle 😀

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

judging by the recent Macca and Ringo performance on the last leg of Paul's US tour he has the best voice of any living Beatle 😀

Macca should have stopped a while back, it's getting embarrassing.  It's not like he needs the money!

8 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Macca should have stopped a while back, it's getting embarrassing.  It's not like he needs the money!

yep, but who's going to tell him? he won't, as far as I know, even lower the key so he can hit the high notes, the blokes in denial

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

yep, but who's going to tell him? he won't, as far as I know, even lower the key so he can hit the high notes, the blokes in denial

… or maybe 'senial' - mixture of senility and denial ☺️  Ringo still seems in pretty good shape.

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

Money hasn't been an issue for Macca since 1963. He plays his songs to audiences because he is a musician/song writer/performer, and that's what they do. While he can fill 90 stadiums on a tour, I guess he's right to continue. Good luck to him. 

I also heard that he's sticking to the written key, which does seem a little foolhardy at his age and apparently doesn't warm up before a show either. The only other singer I've heard of who is still singing in the original key is Stevie Wonder. I did read that SW has weekly singing lessons/workouts, to keep his voice in shape.

• Like 2