Why become a member? ×

Fretting over my thumb

Paul S

Newish to bass and I'm playing a nice skinny jazz profile necked Jaguar.

I try hard, really I do, to play in classic position but often find myself with my hand wrapped around the neck. Sorry, can't help it. But from looking at other bassists I don't think I am alone in this ;)

Anyway, a few times now I have been tempted to use my thumb to fret a note on the E string - sometimes there doesn't seem to be enough time (or fingers) to do it without sounding hurried. Is this something to be encouraged and practised or simply lazy technique and a reason to go back to playing my plank-necked Hayman by way of a cure?

For example, currently trying to pick up Bon Jovi's (spitting and widespread genuflecting) 'Keep The Faith' because my vocalist reckoned it was a hard bassline and I would like to prove him wrong. In my isolation and ignorance it seems like a fairly good idea to keep my thumb wrapped around the F# whilst doing all the other bits with my other fingers? There comes the point, that is often repeated, when I am playing an E on the third string with my index finger and the next note is back down to the F# again and this always seems hurried playing it 'properly' but using my thumb on the F# it seems to flow better.

Any advice, comments or dressing down, please?

Ta

I know what you mean about the thumb thing because recently I've been doing a bit for effect (it's way more common for guitar players to do it if they're playing complicated chords and need a root note on their E string) but it's not an effective way to fret a note in my opinion, for the simple reason that the contact between your thumb and the string produces a different sound than properly fretting the string with your index finger would, for example. It's not really normal practice. I've seen Marcus Miller do it when he plays 'Power', but because he's gotten his left hand technique up, he can utilise the technique a little more dispassionately. I'd practice not doing it first before choosing to use it in future. Hope that helps

EDIT: I forgot to mention, you might find if you keep fretting notes with your left hand thumb that you encounter wrist strain as well, which is definitely something to be avoided!

Edited by liamcapleton

I think people get a bit too concerned with this sort of thing. I do it sometimes, as long as it sounds clean and in time, I have no issues. I've always had my thumb over the neck, I find it more comfortable but you want a good ergonomic position most of the time to help prevent tendon sheath and carpal tunnel inflammation, you have to maintain good blood flow through your wrists. Keep them fairly straight with your arm as often as you can.

whats the point? you'll only hurt yourself. Learn to play in the proper position, with a bit of practice I doubt you will find anything you would need to use your left thumb for.
I'm thinking for some reason outtoplayjazz or one of the pros will have a more substantial answer though!

When I first began playing many moons ago I played everything with my left thumb only using the E string until I began listening to Guns 'n Roses (my first influence) when I was about 14 and began using my fingers.

I haven't used my thumb like that since. there's nothing wrong with it if it allows you to play in a certain way.

There is a guitarist (forget who - I'll have to go & hunt him out) who plays not only the E bit also the A with his thumb: a country or possibly blues guy, plays in DADGAD a lot & therefore has 4th chords under his thumb (whilst he noodles with his other fingers: perhaps he plays jazz?)

However, there is a lot to be said for keeping the wrists straight on both hands as it'll lead to less car-pool tunnel syndrome (which I believe is all about using the tendons whilst in non-neutral positions). Being originally a classically trained guitarist I find the mere idea heretical, so would obviously burn you at the stake if I ever saw you do it.

There's a video (forget who, yeah yeah I know) of a bass player (using a Carvin, I do remember that) who bangs on about good posture to reduce the possibility of serious injury: I think he'd also be collecting gourds of wood & getting his flint & tinder ready at the suggestion that using the thumb over technique was okay.

Edited by dougal

[quote]There is a guitarist (forget who - I'll have to go & hunt him out) who plays not only the E bit also the A with his thumb: a country or possibly blues guy, plays in DADGAD a lot & therefore has 4th chords under his thumb (whilst he noodles with his other fingers: perhaps he plays jazz?)[/quote]

Don't know if anyone's a fan but John Mayer is a regular practitioner of this when playing acoustic stuff!

[quote name='silddx' post='409444' date='Feb 14 2009, 02:57 PM']I think people get a bit too concerned with this sort of thing. I do it sometimes, as long as it sounds clean and in time, I have no issues. I've always had my thumb over the neck, I find it more comfortable but you want a good ergonomic position most of the time to help prevent tendon sheath and carpal tunnel inflammation, you have to maintain good blood flow through your wrists. Keep them fairly straight with your arm as often as you can.[/quote]
I've got carpal tunnel syndrome and it isnt nice. Solutions are :
1. Periodic intra-wrist injections of benisol - a hospital grade anti-inflammatory
2. surgery to loosen your wrist so that it doesnt clamp down so tight on the nerves that pass through.
3. Regular mouse users should consider using a thumbball mouse, aka a trackball, or alternatively a mousepad that supports the wrist

Best avoided with proper technique is my humble advice.