Why become a member? ×

Biggest Bass Drop... EVER!!! #Edit:It's come to my attention that the term “Bass Drop" is not universal so may I add that this thread is asking for members to share their favourite Outstanding Bass moments in songs & has nothing to do with dropping fish*

@Ted!  The term 'bass drop' is universal!  :)
And the real answer to the real question is Ripgroove by Double 99.
So let's pack up our bass guitars and go home, because the synth wins...

One of the comments sums it up perfectly -
'2:01 Now that's a drop, the drop of all drops, a real d.r.o.p. Every other so-called drop is just aettention-seeking and meaningless, this is THE DROP."

Cheers!

A. Nother. Ted

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tedmanzie said:

So let's pack up our bass guitars and go home, because the synth wins...

You can have synth fun with a bass. Every now and then I have a listen to this to remind myself that a bit of commitment to your instrument never hurts. 

Damn youngsters with their commitment. 😁

Using a Source Audio Hot Hand on bass. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know why this gets me right in the guts in a way that’s exactly right and it was the first thing that popped into my head when I heard the phrase ‘bass drop’. Around 2:55 when the guitar and vocals drop out ...

One of the many PiL/Jah Wobble reasons I love bass. About 1:36 where the entire mix turns bass heavy ...

The opening of this track is bass heaven, it’s like getting into an audio bath ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maude said:

You can have synth fun with a bass. Every now and then I have a listen to this to remind myself that a bit of commitment to your instrument never hurts. 

Nathan Navarro is good 👍 recently to be seen on Devin Townsend's latest album and tour 🙂

And here's an old one also with the Hot Hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

Nathan Navarro is good 👍 recently to be seen on Devin Townsend's latest album and tour 🙂

And here's an old one also with the Hot Hand.

Looks skilled, but no, I can't listen to this.

14 hours ago, Maude said:

As far as I was aware it's a term normally reserved for electronic/dance music, particularly dubstep. Commonly the bass, and possibly drums, is held back for a verse or a section and then comes back in with a blast. 

But if we're just going for tracks were the bass injects energy into the track then I'll put the live version of Sabotage in. The song does stop and come back in with bass so it's kind of there. 🙂

Well, its probably too mainstream and boring, but, Flea immediately injects energy into Aeroplane with his bassline and, my goodness, the full bass solo is funky, full of character and perfectly formed. It's like listening to his best advice on how to be a RHCP.

Funky, underrated, damn tight and, I think one of their best musically.

Edited by andytoad
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, andytoad said:

its probably too mainstream and boring, but, Flea immediately injects

Not at all boring, dear Mr Toad, not in the slightest... but it's kind of “a given" that Flea is gonna inject something...

Where & what, who knows?...

Seriously though, any track that this particular Siphonaptera is a part of WILL very often be pretty darn A-Awesome!!

Oh my!!!....

BIG BASS DROP!!!! 1:40 (if you can't wait)

Such a despicable band... Hate to love ‘em!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maude said:

Anyone remember when “Skrillex" was Emo?!!!..

Seriously, check it out... 

Lead singer of From First To Last

I still got a couple of their CDs from back when I used to go sit at the multi-storey car park, looking like this...Screenshot_20200305-223604.png.9fbc22840d27a0eee59f3b6264f1045c.png

2 hours ago, Passinwind said:

The bass intro which starts at just after 5:00 in this version often featured the biggest Phil Bombs, especially during the Wall Of Sound era. Always loved playing this myself in various hippie bands I played in over the 70s and 80s.

Never heard the term 'bass drop' before, but kind of get the idea now someone's used something I recognise as an example.

The band I'm in is 100% Grateful Dead, and the Other One is always popular with us and our audiences.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

One of the many PiL/Jah Wobble reasons I love bass. About 1:36 where the entire mix turns bass heavy ...

This is my favourite PiL era Jah Wobble tracks, the bass on this has a simple but massive groove. 

And here's a Covid-19 Buy One Get One Free offer, The rhythm guitar on this is actually a distorted 6 string bass according to Peter Hook's Unknown Pleasures book;

• Like 3

13 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Never heard the term 'bass drop' before, but kind of get the idea now someone's used something I recognise as an example.

The band I'm in is 100% Grateful Dead, and the Other One is always popular with us and our audiences.

Cool. I attended one of the shows that made it onto that album; I believe the Not Fade/Going Down The Road/Not Fade medley is from the show I saw in New York, my first one actually. This is pre-Wall Of Sound, but I saw that in action a number of times as well.

• Like 1