Why become a member? ×

SOLD/please remove
£1700

boroman

Just now, binky_bass said:

Lovely thing

Indeed. I just pulled it out yesterday, through the flatback '74 Ampeg SVT cab and was blown away. Not so colored like SVTs but a raw, powerful sound. Hiwatt has something special in the low end - not boomy, but full and rich with a hint of "subbass" but a bit less than KT88 version of this head - this was was very Hi-Fi!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jacques said:

I play one of these, best Hiwatt ever. Much better than the KT88 version!

Agreed! The more popular KT88 version (which was made since 1969 I think), is more HiFi, almost sub-bass and crystal clear tones. Which is also great, but If you want that raw tone, known from DR103 (Hiwatt 100)), this one is like that just a bit more clean headroom. and they made them in very low quantities, for few years only (two?)

• 2 weeks later...

Glorious amp. I use a Weber Mywatt 200 which is a copy of this Hiwatt. Mine has KT88 tubes which I think sound gorgeous, particulary when the bright and dark inputs are linked. All very subjective though and I'm sure the EL34s sound great too. GLWTS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Japhet said:

Glorious amp. I use a Weber Mywatt 200 which is a copy of this Hiwatt. Mine has KT88 tubes which I think sound gorgeous, particulary when the bright and dark inputs are linked. All very subjective though and I'm sure the EL34s sound great too. GLWTS.

Just *a bit* different. I think KT88 sounds better when pushed with bass to high overdrive, EL34 has the most beautiful cleans I've ever heard in a bass amp. I think putting there 6CA4/KT77 will lead you to "in between of that" in this amp.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...