Why become a member? ×

Why do some BC sellers insist on buyer arranging courier?

Clarky

Given how simple this is, particular if paying through secured channels, it’s quite an extended conversation over nothing really.  The seller is responsible for the delivery of the goods, and if the buyer paid through PayPal or another buyer secured method, if any loss or damage occurs during transit it’s the sellers responsibility, whatever they say before the sale and whoever arranges or pays for the courier.

If the buyer just made a bank transfer, PayPal gift etc then yes, entirely a gentle(wo)mans agreement before any money changes hands.

10 minutes ago, Kev said:

Given how simple this is, particular if paying through secured channels, it’s quite an extended conversation over nothing really.  The seller is responsible for the delivery of the goods, and if the buyer paid through PayPal or another buyer secured method, if any loss or damage occurs during transit it’s the sellers responsibility, whatever they say before the sale and whoever arranges or pays for the courier.

If the buyer just made a bank transfer, PayPal gift etc then yes, entirely a gentle(wo)mans agreement before any money changes hands.

10 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

You know nothing about me, but your comment says everything about you. And you had to make it personal, didn’t you...

I know you are a whiner. Probably another of the flippers on here (they know who they are - I could name some names but the mod's would probably jump on me), who buy and re-sell instruments and equipment. It always seems to be them who bleat about people not being prepared to post stuff. They appear to see it as their right that everyone should make it easy for them to turn a profit.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kev said:

The seller is responsible for the delivery of the goods, and if the buyer paid through PayPal or another buyer secured method, if any loss or damage occurs during transit it’s the sellers responsibility, whatever they say before the sale and whoever arranges or pays for the courier.

I'd like to see you try to make that stand up in court against a private individual.

Are you a lawyer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I know you are a whiner. Probably another of the flippers on here (they know who they are - I could name some names but the mod's would probably jump on me), who buy and re-sell instruments and equipment. It always seems to be them who bleat about people not being prepared to post stuff. They appear to see it as their right that everyone should make it easy for them to turn a profit.

Edited by FDC484950
Not stooping to your level.

36 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I'd like to see you try to make that stand up in court against a private individual.

Are you a lawyer?

Have a look at PayPal and eBay t&cs to give you an idea.  I am not a lawyer, no, but I feel you knew the answer to that question. 

Play nicely everyone, please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

I’m going to jump on you anyway and say wind yer’ neck in and, as Kev says, play nice. Thank you. 

• Thanks 4

Crikey! 9_9

I don't buy and sell a huge amount of stuff on here these days (although there was a time...), but to me it really is childishly simple:

On every item I sell, I impose sale conditions. For example, for big and/or heavy items I don't do couriers. For anybody. Ever. If that makes it harder to sell the item in question then so be it. My sale, my rules. I try always to provide a link to my feedback so that potential buyers can see how I've conducted myself in previous transactions, and am more than happy to be judged by those comments. If folks don't like the conditions I set, they are welcome to look elsewhere.

When buying, I'm expecting to see sale conditions for the item I'm interested in. If I want the item and am prepared to work with the sale conditions I make an offer.

As has been said already, these are transactions between private individuals. Expecting commercial conditions on private sales is unrealistic. It doesn't work that way. No reason why it should. Getting all marmalade sandwich about it cuts no ice with me I'm afraid.

What's hard to understand, really?

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, ped said:

I’m going to jump on you anyway and say wind yer’ neck in and, as Kev says, play nice. Thank you. 

Fair enough. It just gets my goat that some on here moan about the slightest thing. God forbid something really bad might happen to them.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Crikey! 9_9

I don't buy and sell a huge amount of stuff on here these days (although there was a time...), but to me it really is childishly simple:

On every item I sell, I impose sale conditions. For example, for big and/or heavy items I don't do couriers. For anybody. Ever. If that makes it harder to sell the item in question then so be it. My sale, my rules. I try always to provide a link to my feedback so that potential buyers can see how I've conducted myself in previous transactions, and am more than happy to be judged by those comments. If folks don't like the conditions I set, they are welcome to look elsewhere.

When buying, I'm expecting to see sale conditions for the item I'm interested in. If I want the item and am prepared to work with the sale conditions I make an offer.

As has been said already, these are transactions between private individuals. Expecting commercial conditions on private sales is unrealistic. It doesn't work that way. No reason why it should. Getting all snowflake about it cuts no ice with me I'm afraid.

What's hard to understand, really?

In a nutshell. Well put.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ped said:

I don't think we can expect the mods to deliver stuff, but worth asking 

I expect mods to deliver tight rhythms, stylish insolence, and sharp tailoring. I expect skins to deliver steel toecaps to my bonce, going by experience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

These threads:

"Good sir, the conditions of this sale are unacceptable to me. I refuse to deal with someone who sets such unreasonable terms."

"Sir, the conditions of the sale are the conditions of the sale. If you do not accept them, then I will not deal with you."

"I shall take my custom elsewhere. You have lost a sale, sir."

"It is of no loss to me, as I cannot deal with you, sir."

"I do not think you understand. I shall not purchase the item."

"It is you who has misapprehended. For it is I who will not sell it to you."

-

Reminds me of the time I stood drunkenly outside of Sneaky Pete's in Edinburgh, and declared loudly to any who would listen that I would in no case be entering, because it was, and I'm paraphrasing for the swear filter here: a hole such as might be found under a latrine.  To which the bouncer promptly announced that I was not to be allowed onto the premises.  Never have I been so miffed about a situation where the end result was exactly what I wanted.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, linear said:

These threads:

"Good sir, the conditions of this sale are unacceptable to me. I refuse to deal with someone who sets such unreasonable terms."

"Sir, the conditions of the sale are the conditions of the sale. If you do not accept them, then I will not deal with you."

"I shall take my custom elsewhere. You have lost a sale, sir."

"It is of no loss to me, as I cannot deal with you, sir."

"I do not think you understand. I shall not purchase the item."

"It is you who has misapprehended. For it is I who will not sell it to you."

The phrase that springs to mind is:  "Why can't you just take 'no' for an answer?!" - only in this case it's a double-no!!