Why become a member? ×

Learning while isolating

It's obviously a very testing time for everybody, and to try and help out I see that Zoltan Dekany (monster electric and double bass player as well as being a superb tutor) has made all of his courses and lessons free for the next little while. They're all on his bass education website https://www.zoltansbasslounge.com/ and there's material for electric bass and double as well. Like I say, he's a great tutor and his double bass courses gave me a great start to what was a new instrument to me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

@stewblack Really pleased you like it. I've been very fortunate to have some 1-2-1 electric lessons with Zoltan and he is such a great teacher as well as being a sought after player. Those things don't always go hand in hand! He has really pulled my playing up, and my musical understanding for that matter, from where it was before. And with upright, my only tuition so far has been from his foundation course through to the technical studies that he's got on his website. I've still got a very long way to go but it was the best start I could have wished for.

I hope you keep enjoying it.

Edited by ToolOfIgnorance
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zoltan Dekany said:

Hi All, many thanks for visiting the site and your comments!! Let me know how you get on working with it and if you have any constructive feed back it'd be much appreciated.
Best regards, Zoltan

So far I'm loving the lessons. Really taking my time and getting into the scales and chords. Does the website have any details on costs for when the free course is finished? 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zoltan Dekany said:

Hi All, many thanks for visiting the site and your comments!! Let me know how you get on working with it and if you have any constructive feed back it'd be much appreciated.
Best regards, Zoltan

The site is brilliant and the lessons fantastic. I haven’t had time to work though them but your gesture is incredibly kind.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Zoltan Dekany said:

Best regards, Zoltan

Thank you so much for your generosity, Zoltan! I hope to dig into  your electric bass course today.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, stewblack said:

So far I'm loving the lessons. Really taking my time and getting into the scales and chords. Does the website have any details on costs for when the free course is finished? 

Hi Stew,
Yes of course, as you saw we have different courses for Electric and Double Bass. Depending on how detailed a course is, how broad the topic and the amount of lessons and resources it contains is what determines the price. We have a range of £20-70. 
Have seen your earlier comments, many thanks, truly appreciate it and means a lot!!!

I am very glad you and everyone else are using the site! It serves its purpose which is great! Please let me know any constructive input you may have,

Stay healthy and safe!
Best wishes,
Zoltan

19 hours ago, Zoltan Dekany said:

any constructive feed back it'd be much appreciated.
Best regards, Zoltan

Hi Zoltan,

Is there a mistake in bar 5 of the pdf for the major and dominant 5th cycle? I was expecting a Bb. Still new to reading music so i may have missed something here!

image.png.d85ae9e2ed3d873a61759259751235a3.png

• Thanks 1

Realised my knowledge of the arpeggios was patchy (at best) so I've been working on the major / dominant 5ths exercise. Needless to say the course has stalled while I get my head around it! But it's coming ............... slooooooowly

15 hours ago, stewblack said:

Realised my knowledge of the arpeggios was patchy (at best) so I've been working on the major / dominant 5ths exercise. Needless to say the course has stalled while I get my head around it! But it's coming ............... slooooooowly

Hi Stew, that's great, it is slow and patient work that will get you there. Changed the sheet music a few days ago, thanks for spotting that! 

4 hours ago, Zoltan Dekany said:

Hi Stew, that's great, it is slow and patient work that will get you there. Changed the sheet music a few days ago, thanks for spotting that! 

My pleasure. I am getting there, I can now recite the circle backwards (anti clockwise) without having to picture a bass and work out what comes next! 

The great thing about the exercise is it shows me clearly the area of the fretboard and the chords I don't know well. Probably predictably it's DB Ab and Gb. 

Weirdly I have less of a problem with C#, G# and F# 🤔

20 minutes ago, stewblack said:

My pleasure. I am getting there, I can now recite the circle backwards (anti clockwise) without having to picture a bass and work out what comes next! 

The great thing about the exercise is it shows me clearly the area of the fretboard and the chords I don't know well. Probably predictably it's DB Ab and Gb. 

Weirdly I have less of a problem with C#, G# and F# 🤔

Thinking about it, I am often thrown by chord sheets with Gb on - probably because F# seems more common! In fact the only notes I 'see' easily as flats are Bb and Eb.

Stupid bloody brain I've got!