Why become a member? ×

Reaper - free for 60 days

MacDaddy

It's what I use. The basics are pretty intuitive so you'll get up and running no probs! For the more complicated stuff, quite literally google any question you have and someone has asked the same question at some point on some from somewhere, and someone has answered.  It's great!

Keep your eye on the guide to recording at the top of the forum , full of info , just be patient , you will take one step forward and 2 steps back on more than one occasion , but once you start getting results , you’ll be wearing a proper smile 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikel said:

Before I spend any more money, would my Zoom H4N be OK as an Audio Interface?

er.. that's a field recorder innit? So I don't think so, get yourself a cheap Audio interface like this

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Behringer-U-Phoria-UM2-USB-Audio-Interface/art-PCM0012134-000?campaign=GShopping/UK&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoOed4bnC6AIVgoxRCh1Rnww4EAQYAiABEgI4rfD_BwE

Edit, i see the zoom has audio interface possibilities so it might be ok

Edited by skidder652003

6 hours ago, mikel said:

Thanks guys. I will give it a go, if its not up to scratch I can go for the recommendation.

I spent a bit of time trying to use work arounds , if you really have no choice , try it, but I would certainly get the bit of kit that is designed to do the job you need it for, it saves a lot of heartache! 

A zoom interface will get you out of the box.
Within a couple of weeks you'll want something better.
If you get bitten by the bug you'll want an update to that to improve the quality (less drop outs, more solid USB implementation, better preamps etc).

3 hours ago, 51m0n said:

A zoom interface will get you out of the box.
Within a couple of weeks you'll want something better.
If you get bitten by the bug you'll want an update to that to improve the quality (less drop outs, more solid USB implementation, better preamps etc).

I will of course always defer to you on all things recording , but when I was at that point , better quality sound was nowhere near my wish list , just getting the f******g thing working consistently would have been fine , oh and latency , both ways , oh boy . On starting up I spent far more time figuring  out why I couldn’t get sounds on to my computer , recorded and back to some speakers than Mick at his softest .

then I bought a scarlet 2i2 and everything just fell into place and I could actually think about the music :lol:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was recently looking for an inexpensive drum program for PC and I found this video (there is a second related one also):

I downloaded the free kit VST (which sounds great) and Reaper and I was away experimenting with drum programming really quickly. 

The kit VST has loads of pre-built loops that can be used to get things going quickly, so its easy to make something convincing to play along to with hardly any knowledge of Reaper itself (I have no DAW knowledge at all, just a bit of Audacity audio editing). 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to jump on the thread but this is something I'm also looking in to. Regarding the interface, before I spend cash, I've got various bits of kit that may work for bass and guitar to get the sound in to the PC: blackstar BEAM amp, Boss GT10B multifx bass pedal, Zoom HN4, Zoom acoustic guitar pedal... What is "best"? I can record using the Zoom HN4 and put the memory card in the PC, or I can link one of the FX boxes in directly... But then do I need an interface in between an FX box and the PC? 

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Sorry to jump on the thread but this is something I'm also looking in to. Regarding the interface, before I spend cash, I've got various bits of kit that may work for bass and guitar to get the sound in to the PC: blackstar BEAM amp, Boss GT10B multifx bass pedal, Zoom HN4, Zoom acoustic guitar pedal... What is "best"? I can record using the Zoom HN4 and put the memory card in the PC, or I can link one of the FX boxes in directly... But then do I need an interface in between an FX box and the PC? 

you'll need something to turn your analogue signal from your bass and  effects pedals in to the digital info that goes into the PC, ie an interface. There are various ways of doing this but in all honesty for 30 quid just get one of these and be done with it

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/behringer-u-phoria-um2/90096?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhZr1BRCLARIsALjRVQMorOnOSMFySlrjAbvzu5s9KIR88u9BzKzpKqnHZulbB_WC2SFOVMQaAhUAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

or for another tenner

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/behringer-u-phoria-umc22/90091?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhZr1BRCLARIsALjRVQOJe1lvlw6LdS-dMLi1ITT78drY0bGfpe6pnGLf6b-d05UfXu4CcGIaAs_LEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a scarletti 2i2 and its ace, a few more quid though

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1