Why become a member? ×

Cheap multi-effects for bass AND guitar....

Jakester

I’m looking for recommendations for a cheap multi-fx pedal that could be used for both bass and guitar. 

Essentially I’m just looking for something for home practice that my lad can also use for his guitar practice. Not so bothered about the distortions but looking for things like wah, trem/vibrato, etc. 

Would the Zoom B1on suit?

I use my Zoom G3 for bass and guitar. The choruses and tremolo FX are fine, as are the delays and reverbs. Good compressor too.

The amps and distortions are of no interest to me, but your son might like them. They are all far too bright and need dialing back, as do the distortions.

Plus it has a DI out which many find convenient. I put it after my Zoom B3n when I fancy a bit of ambient! I've had two of them.

If you want an actual wah pedal included in the mix, then worth checking out this:

image.png.e85f26510ad7d133ffc271112c4f9a31.png

As well as all the fx you mention which it does very well, it also includes: drum machine, really easy to use & free editing software plus aux in and ability to use as a very capable headphone amp - making it ideal for silent home practice.

Accessible 'global' 3 band EQ and volume control is a really nice touch and not a feature available on most of the predecessor Zoom range, where these can only be adjusted by editing the individual patches, which is a ton less convenient on the fly.

Excellent all rounder, particularly given its price point.

Edited by Al Krow

On 21/03/2020 at 15:49, Jakester said:

.Would the Zoom B1on suit?

Ive got that, and my son has the G1on. Ether can be used for either instrument. The B1 will have Bass amps, the G1 guitar amps. For home playing i don’t think either are really important, they are just fancy EQ’s anyway. 

Personally I’d get one of the newer B1-Four or G1-Four versions, and it sounds like the version with the expression pedal built in might be the way to go. 

On 21/03/2020 at 20:28, Skybone said:

Define 'cheap'.

One of the best value and underrated multi-fx, is the Good old Line6 HD500x with the HD Bass pack. £200-250 will get you a well looked after second hand one on eBay.

Or even cheaper and older, the line6 x3 live. Guitar and bass amp models and effects. There’s also the m series pedals (m5, m9 and m13). No amp models but a big mix of guitar and bass effects.