Why become a member? Ɨ

Thumb Rest - Temporary?

stewblack

I think I want a thumb rest on this bass I bought. I have a thumb rest which I applied with blue tack and I liked it. Blue tack is good but couldn't prevent me pushing the thumb rest over after ten minutes or so.

I need a more 'permanent' temporary solution before I put holes in my instrument šŸ˜®

Any ideas what wouldn't be unkind to the finish? Hot glue? Sticky velcro? Double sided tape? Or should I simply man up and bang a couple of screws in there?

As long as it's not a nitro finish, I've used good old 3M double sided tape, the foam type that's about a mil thick, not the 'glue on a roll' really thin one, with good results. The wooden makeshift one stayed on my 4005 for six months of gigging before I made a clear acrylic one. Left no residue or damage. The surface area of the thumbrest that is in contact with the tape, the better it'll work. So possibly the hollow plastic type thumbrest won't stay put as long. No harm in trying though.Ā 

On 21/03/2020 at 13:02, stewblack said:

I think I want a thumb rest on this bass I bought. I have a thumb rest which I applied with blue tack and I liked it. Blue tack is good but couldn't prevent me pushing the thumb rest over after ten minutes or so.

I need a more 'permanent' temporary solution before I put holes in my instrument šŸ˜®

Any ideas what wouldn't be unkind to the finish? Hot glue? Sticky velcro? Double sided tape? Or should I simply man up and bang a couple of screws in there?

Ā 

I use double sided sticky tape. Rests stay firmly attached but they can be removed cleanly.

If it has a scratchplate with a conveniently positioned screw you could use a slightly longer than usual scratch plate screw through a thumb rest.Ā 

Of course that only works in very limited circumstances :)Ā 

3 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

http://www.zero-mod.com/home.html

Feels insanely expensive to me, but a good solution.

EDIT: Ah - sorry!Ā  I see you're just trying before drilling.Ā  Might be useful to avoid the drill?

I think I shall drill mine eventually. Right now it is glued to a length of insulation tape which is stuck to the bass. Easy to peel off if I don't like it but a very solid bond so it doesn't wobble.Ā 

These details can make or break a bass for me. Never cared about nut width, don't worry about scale length or neck profile, but nowhere to rest my thumb? Neck dive? Pickup which cuts my finger? Deal breakers.Ā 

I

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

These details can make or break a bass for me. Never cared about nut width, don't worry about scale length or neck profile, but nowhere to rest my thumb? Neck dive? Pickup which cuts my finger? Deal breakers.Ā 

I hear you!Ā  Moving to Stingray from PBass style nearly broke me - then I started doing some slapping which seemed to break me of needing my hand in a locked position.