Why become a member? ×

Any inexpensive aggressive sounding P pickups around?

shoulderpet

On 30/03/2020 at 10:40, Williams4S said:

How did it all go with the Entwistles? Any sound clips would be welcome 😉

I fancy changing the pickup in my new CV vibe 70s P. Something more of a vintage voicing but again, CHEAP. I bought a set of Tonerider Jazz pickups for my MiM Jazz last year and they are amazing. Tempted to take a punt on the P version for £35ish. Although, I have heard that some earlier CV basses use Tonerider pickups from the factory. Nothing particularly wrong with the pickup in there now but we’ve got a long few months ahead and a few little projects won’t go amiss. 

See my post above this one if the Spb-1 interests you 

Ok ordered the electrical tape just got to wait for it to arrive now.  The instructions that come with the pickups recommend a 0.1 MFD Capacitor , any idea what this would do?  Im gonna stick with whatever capacitor is currently in my bass but would be good to know

18 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

Thanks guys, I have an Spb-1 that needs some wires soldering to it going spare for anyone who doesn't mind the extra bit of work, just asking the cost to send it 

Can I have it ?

2 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

A 0.1 cap removes a lot of high end and focuses on the low end - not something you want for an aggressive tone! The standard cap is 0.047 which is fine, if not ideal for the aggressive tone you want. 👍

Thanks, strange that they would recommend that, kind of like how Seymour Duncan recommend 250k pots for the Quarter pounder pickup  

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Also 500K pots can give you a brighter tone. I used to have one of the early Squier VM Precisions that had them, and that thing snarled.

Thanks, my long term plan is to swap out the 250k volumes for 500k and take out the tone control completely

Ok, got the PBXN fitted , sounds good, only one problem

IMG_20200403_194023.jpg

Gonna have to either file the pickguard to fit or but some other pickup covers , I love the logos on them so would be a shame to have to swap the covers out, have left the pickguard off for the time being

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1

On 30/03/2020 at 10:40, Williams4S said:

How did it all go with the Entwistles? Any sound clips would be welcome 😉

I fancy changing the pickup in my new CV vibe 70s P. Something more of a vintage voicing but again, CHEAP. I bought a set of Tonerider Jazz pickups for my MiM Jazz last year and they are amazing. Tempted to take a punt on the P version for £35ish. Although, I have heard that some earlier CV basses use Tonerider pickups from the factory. Nothing particularly wrong with the pickup in there now but we’ve got a long few months ahead and a few little projects won’t go amiss. 

How do you record sound clips, is it as simple as di box into pc mic input? 

Ok, so I have a newly discovered problem with these pickups :dash1:  They sound amazing...but due to the honking great big magnets I cannot get them low enough, when I fret the E string at the last fret the distance from the pickup pole to the bottom of the E string is only 2mm and I dont have particularly low action, is set at around Fender spec , im quite keen on upper register playing so this could be somewhat problematic.  What to do?  Is there an easy fix I can try before I decide whether to move these on?

Assuming I can't sort this issue this leaves Wilkinson WMPB (their ceramic pickup) and Kent Armstrong hot ceramic pickup as possible contenders, anyone have any input on these? 

Edited by shoulderpet

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Shim the neck with a bit of credit card at the bridge end of the pocket.

Thank you, so at the butt end of the neck? How much of the neck pocket should the shim take up? Why only the bridge end and not the full  pocket? Sorry for silly questions

Edited by shoulderpet

51 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Thank you, so at the butt end of the neck? How much of the neck pocket should the shim take up? Why only the bridge end and not the full  pocket? Sorry for silly questions

Just then, about 1/4 - 1/3, enough to overlap one pair of fixing screws. You aren't aiming to raise the neck but to angle it very slightly. 1/2mm at the pocket will give you 2-3mm at the bridge, allowing you to raise the bridge (and strings and then pickups)

20 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Just then, about 1/4 - 1/3, enough to overlap one pair of fixing screws. You aren't aiming to raise the neck but to angle it very slightly. 1/2mm at the pocket will give you 2-3mm at the bridge, allowing you to raise the bridge (and strings and then pickups)

Thanks, if the neck angle is being changed slightly will I need to do a truss rod adjsutment afterward?

48 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Thanks, if the neck angle is being changed slightly will I need to do a truss rod adjsutment afterward?

Hopefully not, but taking the strings off and resetting everything might mean it needs a small adjustment.

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hopefully not, but taking the strings off and resetting everything might mean it needs a small adjustment.

Ok thanks, as I have spent a lot of time on my setup recently I might just get a set of Wilkinson ceramic P pickups to take me through till I have the cash for some Quarter pounders

On 03/04/2020 at 23:17, hooky_lowdown said:

I take it the pickguard is a Chinese after market one, for some reason they make the pickup ear holes too small.

Most pickups have the smaller ears, so it's not surprising that most pickguards have the smaller ear cutouts too. But you can find them with the bigger ears if you look. AliExpress is a good source of all kinds of pickguard designs for not much money at all.

15 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

Ok, so I have a newly discovered problem with these pickups :dash1:  They sound amazing...but due to the honking great big magnets I cannot get them low enough, when I fret the E string at the last fret the distance from the pickup pole to the bottom of the E string is only 2mm and I dont have particularly low action, is set at around Fender spec , im quite keen on upper register playing so this could be somewhat problematic.  What to do?  Is there an easy fix I can try before I decide whether to move these on?

Assuming I can't sort this issue this leaves Wilkinson WMPB (their ceramic pickup) and Kent Armstrong hot ceramic pickup as possible contenders, anyone have any input on these? 

Yes, those pickups are pretty thick. The good news is they sound even better once they're not so close to the strings. You can buy a small chisel for not much money and... with a little care, you can remove a bit of wood from the cavity. It's easier than it sounds, and I am far from being a DIY wizard: If I can do it, anybody can.

43 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Yes, those pickups are pretty thick. The good news is they sound even better once they're not so close to the strings. You can buy a small chisel for not much money and... with a little care, you can remove a bit of wood from the cavity. It's easier than it sounds, and I am far from being a DIY wizard: If I can do it, anybody can.

Thanks for the suggestion, I am proper ham fisted though so not sure I would trust myself doing so.

I think I'm gonna go for one of the ceramic Wilkinson pickups for the time being and when I get the cash I will go with a quarter pounder.

I wonder if it would be worth getting some neodymium magnets to stick to the underside or on top of the pickup poles? 

Edited by shoulderpet

22 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I am proper ham fisted though so not sure I would trust myself doing so.

I think I'm gonna go for one of the ceramic Wilkinson pickups for the time being and when I get the cash I will go with a quarter pounder.

Yeah, I like simplicity too. The Wilkinsons have great reviews, not a bad choice. I would not go for a quarter pounder myself... they're a bit... not sure what to call them: best to try a bass with them first. They are aggressive alright but not in a good way, for me. I would rather choose a DiMarzio Model P instead. They're not expensive and they do aggressive very well, but not just that. They're very musical.

16 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Yeah, I like simplicity too. The Wilkinsons have great reviews, not a bad choice. I would not go for a quarter pounder myself... they're a bit... not sure what to call them: best to try a bass with them first. They are aggressive alright but not in a good way, for me. I would rather choose a DiMarzio Model P instead. They're not expensive and they do aggressive very well, but not just that. They're very musical.

Yeah I like the idea of the Model P and the aggressive tone with mid focus but don't they have like 4 sets of wires coming off them? I'm a dead simple kind of person when it comes to pickups and even more simple when it comes to fitting them, I want a black wire and a white wire and a set of screws for the pickup

Edited by shoulderpet