Why become a member? ×

Fender's Jazz Bass range... which to choose?

geoham

On 24/03/2020 at 21:00, Burns-bass said:

I have owned about 50 jazzes from pre-CBS jazzes to modern ones and I have to say that the FSR Jazz Bass I picked up before Christmas is exceptional.

Its personal taste, naturally, but the workmanship is top quality, and the materials excellent (I had a solid rosewood neck). The neck feels like a vintage bass and the pickups are warm. A high-mass bridge and through neck stringing add to the tone and it looks like the balls too.

I tried quite a few and have to say that the guys at PMT were brilliant and let me play loads then offered me the online discount price in store.

@Burns-bass bit of a thread resurrection but would be interested in getting your or anyone else's opinion on the various spec levels of the fender jazzes you played. Obviously on the high end Am Pro II you are paying for hardware and special finishes (dark night is ace), does the neck/bass feel different to say a deluxe model? I am either going to get a deluxe active or a fully loaded deluxe body with a MIM neck. Cant justify the American pro II, £1600 quid!!!!

On 28/12/2020 at 15:13, horrorshowbass said:

@Burns-bass bit of a thread resurrection but would be interested in getting your or anyone else's opinion on the various spec levels of the fender jazzes you played. Obviously on the high end Am Pro II you are paying for hardware and special finishes (dark night is ace), does the neck/bass feel different to say a deluxe model? I am either going to get a deluxe active or a fully loaded deluxe body with a MIM neck. Cant justify the American pro II, £1600 quid!!!!

Sorry I missed this. I must say I haven’t tried all the Fender range (not been able to get to a guitar shop for a while, wonder why?)

There are people with greater experience than I have, but I’ve felt that Fenders can differ even within ranges. Personally, I wanted a full rosewood neck that was pencil thin, the strong vintage-style pickups and a pink finish. I know it’s not for everyone but I absolutely love it.

The US jazz is lovely, but personally I’d suggest if you want a genuine Fender but cant justify the US cost, then the Player series ones are wonderful. Slightly wider neck, fatter frets and thinner body. I loved mine, gigged with it and am sad I sold it.

The stuff coming out of Mexico now is of exceptional quality at a fraction of the price of the US models. 

• Like 1

I’ve had around 40 jazzes, it’s my go to bass although I do have Precision’s and Sandbergs, and what I would say is don’t be put off by the MIM range, I narrowed them down to the ones that felt and played the best to me and of the 7 I’ve still got 5 of them are Mexican , I can’t say that I’ve had a bad one but some are better than others quality wise. A nice one I had but stupidly moved on was the flea jazz, I would definitely have another if one came up at the right price, I can’t say much about squire I’ve never really tried those 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Sorry I missed this. I must say I haven’t tried all the Fender range (not been able to get to a guitar shop for a while, wonder why?)

There are people with greater experience than I have, but I’ve felt that Fenders can differ even within ranges. Personally, I wanted a full rosewood neck that was pencil thin, the strong vintage-style pickups and a pink finish. I know it’s not for everyone but I absolutely love it.

The US jazz is lovely, but personally I’d suggest if you want a genuine Fender but cant justify the US cost, then the Player series ones are wonderful. Slightly wider neck, fatter frets and thinner body. I loved mine, gigged with it and am sad I sold it.

The stuff coming out of Mexico now is of exceptional quality at a fraction of the price of the US models. 

If you can live with a reliced bass, then the Flea bass is a great way to get one with that spec.

14 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Thanks guys yeah I've settled the head, will probably get a player series when they are back in andertons. I have a squier contemporary active jazz incoming to tide me over....

My local PMT has 0% finance up to 36 months. Might be a useful way to play with your budget 🙂